I think my hen is sick

• 11 Replies

Cat

I think my hen is sick
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:11 »
This morning my one hen was just sitting there and her comb has "collapsed". There is a bit of blood in her poop. She hasn't moved at all this morning. I am worried about her. I have checked her and she seems okay. She has no wounds or anything.

Any ideas???
Lead, follow or get out of the way

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: I think my hen is sick
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:59 »
Has the weather been wet there? It could be Coccidosis or a heavy infestation of worms too. Others will be on shortly and will have a better idea.

Cat

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:06 »
Not it's been very dry here. I have just checked on her again and now she is just lying down. This morning she was standing. None of the others are showing any signs of anything. They are all happy and chirpy. It is just her.

How do I look for worms?

Vember

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10 »
If it's a real bad worm infestation you might see them in your girls poops and poops might be bright green.
Tells you loads of stuff here about worms :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.0

Has she been laying Cat? When was the last time?  What colour is her comb?

Have a feel under her wing then have a feel at one of your other girls, does the poorly one feel hotter than the other?

Sarah :)

Cat

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15 »
Hi Vember

Thanks for that info. None of their poop is bright green. She has a bit of blood in hers. I felt under her wings and she feels the same as the other girls. There was no noticeable difference.

Her comb is red and all the others stand straight up. Hers did until this morning. Normally by now they are in their house but tonight they are still out. She isn't moving. She just sits by her water. This morning she was still standing but now she is sitting.

I gave them pineapple yesterday, it was the first time. (Normally they get watermelon) Could this have had any effect on her?

What else do I need to look for with worms?

I am so worried.

Thanks

Oh I forgot: I don't know if she is laying eggs at the moment. They only started laying about 2 weeks ago. She isn't the one that had the stuck egg.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:18 by Cat »

Vember

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:45 »
Blood in poops would suggest Coccidosis as NN suggested have you had a look at Aunties Poo thread ?
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Apart from actually seeing the worms in the poops I don't think there is any other obvious signs :(

I would try some Coxoid in her water but unsure if you will be able to get it? It's used to treat Coccidiosis in pigeons.

are you able to separate her from the others?

Cat

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 00:28 »
I separated her from the others but she died last night  :( :(

I looked at her poop and it wasn't green. It was normal except for the bit of blood. My other girls seem to be fine. None of them are showing any signs of anything.

I am going past the vet today to see what he has for deworming and I think that I will just deworm them all just in case.

serena

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:03 »
I just gave my babies some raw carrot, zucchini, pumpkin and garlic.  It is supposed to help rid them of worms (garlic) and the other ingredients help remove them easily.  I found the remedy online - has anyone else heard about this?

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39 »
A god wormer is "flubenvent" available online, give your vet a call first as I dont know many vets that keep it in stock, doesn't need a prescription

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/c-433-flubenvet.aspx?gclid=CJqm0MzVpJoCFVCS3wodRiL29g

Saying that the symptoms dont sound like worms although it wont do any harm worming this time of year.
How old are they?

Cat

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi Foxy

They are about 7 months old. They have just started laying eggs. I have been checking on my other girls and they all seem to be fine. I hope it was just an isolated case and that she didn't pass anything to them. I cleaned out their coup just in case and gave them fresh water and food and beddings

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:26 »
oops Cat, sorry forgot you were in Taiwan! :)
Sounds like you are doing all the right things, keep a close eye on the others and check they haven't access to anything that could be toxic to them, for example rat/mouse poison. Water, change daily, maybe add a clove of garlic and Apple cider vinegar if you can get hold of it???
Good luck with your girlies! :) :)

Cat

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 05:33 »
Hi Foxy

Thanks for those natural remedies. I am not keen in using any medication if it can be avoided. So far none of them have shown any signs so i think they are clear. Thanks again

Cat

sad
My hen is sick!

Started by Flo123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2019, 20:24
by grinling
xx
Sick hen

Started by new heather on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 15:06
by brick22
xx
Help please I've got a sick hen

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 07:49
by joyfull
xx
Sick hen

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 22:45
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 31 queries.