Horsetail versus second earlies (Lady Balfour)

• 15 Replies

jamesbrownontheroad

Horsetail versus second earlies (Lady Balfour)
« on: April 29, 2009, 19:17 »
As expected, we have the first green shoots of horsetail / marestail appearing on our allotment. Getting the plot in January, I spent a very muddy month or two turning the soil and weeding every possible root out of the soil ... and there were hundreds of brittle strands that looked like horsetail that I managed to remove.

So, with a big chunk of roots out, I'm just following the advice elsewhere on the forum and trying to hoe back the shoots once they get to 2-3". However in one area of the plot, we have a drill of second earlies (Lady Balfour) that were planted as seed potatoes in mid-March. Where horsetail is beginning to emerge here, should I persist with removing as much of the stem as possible from beneath the ground (and risk disturbing the potatoes, which have sprouted healthy leaves and been mounded up a few times) or leave it be to until we lift the potatoes?

In this instance the root systems are almost certainly stretching back under the adjacent communal path, so they'll be impossible to remove completely.

Thanks!  :blink:

paintedlady

Re: Horsetail versus second earlies (Lady Balfour)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 19:25 »
rather than disturb the potatoes, perhaps just manually nip the tips off as soon as you see them?  It probably won't kill them, but the roots will surely weaken as it uses up stored food to keep sending shoots up and hopefully by the time you harvest the spuds, you will be able to dig more root out later
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 19:43 »
Thanks, will give that a bash. Luckily we can be there pretty much daily so it's easily done.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 19:44 »
Once any veg are established its really the only thing you can do until you can dig it over again in my experience
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35 »
I've forgotten when it produces spores?

I pull the tops of marestail (which usually gets me an inch-or-three of root too) straight into a supermarket bag to try to reduce the spreading of spores - or any root etc. falling on soil and growing.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:39 »
second early?

says maincrop here

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Lady%20Balfour

i have some in myself....

Idra

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:57 »
 >:( I had the same problem with mares tail last season in my spuds.
I used acetic acid 25% solution (industrial vinegar) applied directly onto the tail with a hand spray (ex flash multisurface).The mares tail turned brown overnight and disapeared.
I have not seen any this year in the area that was treated, it is elsewhere on the plot but i have been able to aquire some more vinegar and this weekend will be treating it. (if its not raining)
Idra
No such thing as a bad beer, its just some are better than others.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59 »
25% industrial vinegar is a new one on me! My veg plot is at the back but I have it happily rampaging through bits of my ornamental garden at the front. I heard Jeye's fluid works but don't know what strength and I tried it diluted about 5% last year with little success. I jumped up and down on the shoots to bruise them as they have silica in the "leaves" which makes it difficult to get them to absorb glyphosate sprays. I have used Casuron 4 in the past where I sprinkled the granules on the shoots and covered them with grass clippings so my cats wouldn't get it on their paws and that worked quite well. Where can I get some industrial vinegar from?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Idra

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08 »
Goosegirl try the link below
www.reagent.co.uk/acetic-acid.html
we call it vinegar due to the smell  :lol: it is acid really so if you use it glasses & gloves required
idra

Idra

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 12:16 »
 :wacko: Forgot to mention, be careful it will kill anything green. Really good on dandelions and docs as well

jamesbrownontheroad

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 17:53 »
Goosegirl try the link below
www.reagent.co.uk/acetic-acid.html
we call it vinegar due to the smell  :lol: it is acid really so if you use it glasses & gloves required
idra

AH so THATS what my mate on Reedley Hallows was on about!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 17:44 »
hmm, must mean u can harvest it as a 2nd early or leave it to grow on.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 22:57 »

Yes, stores Ok, too, mine are a bit wrinkling now. The flavour is second to none category, though mine had a load of slug damage last year.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39 »

Yes, stores Ok, too, mine are a bit wrinkling now. The flavour is second to none category, though mine had a load of slug damage last year.

That's good to hear: my partner and I used the blindfold-and-pin technique of choosing potatoes. Everyone our way gets excited about Arran Pilot, but if the horsetail and slugs are about, I don't imagine it matters what variety you've planted.

xx
Lady Balfour.... and slugs

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 19:11
by snowdrops
xx
Lady Balfour spuds, how long do they take?

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 23:58
by andy135
xx
Horsetail

Started by Chris Anderson on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 23:54
by meterman
sad
horsetail

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:10
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 29 queries.