squashes

• 20 Replies

RichardA

Re: squashes
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 18:47 »
when I used the expression "bottom heat" in an earlier posting about some other plants I did explain what I meant. This time I almost explained it but thought --- Hey no one will be that daft as to take it the wrong way " but then can't be right all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously -- it is the best piece of kit I ever made, 2 metres by 1 metre, glass front and top made from old shower cubicle, bed of sand and soil warming cables -- been in use about 15 years now up in the greenhouse, no trouble, rod thermostat gives crude control but need to be careful not to leave lid on if sun likely to be strong that day, quick spray round once aday. Record rates of propogation such as beans through in 3 days and courgettes in 2 days from planting. Helps newly pricked out flowers, toms, celery etc as well to take.
When not needed it is a good place to leave washed pots and trays to dry in sun or to dry onions or beans etc on racks over top etc even without any heat on.

aubergine

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 21:29 »
RichardA, I would love to see a pic :)
Aubergine

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 22:22 »
I have to agree with you Richard you can't beat a bit of warmth underneath, for sowing or taking cuttings its the best  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 20:02 »
Hi
 I am new to all this growing lark but have read the comments on this site with great interest as I have just taken possession of my first allotment,  :) I also put my squash seedlings on the windowsill along side the courgettes, courgettes growing nicely and as i just give up on the butternuts and plant the remaining seed the originals show their shoots  ........

would just like to say thanks to all those experienced and not so experienced that willingly share their knowledge and I expect I will be asking for loads of advice in the future x

yummy

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 21:32 »
My butternut squash were sown in peat pots two weeks ago and have been living on a windowsil ever since. Only one is showing so far.

paintedlady

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 05:04 »
I sowed quite a lot of different varieties of squash and was getting a bit concerned when very few were germinating.  I was about to sow some more this weekend when blow me, the rest are all coming up now  :D.  Some varieties just seem more reluctant than others
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
help with squashes

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 19:26
by pink aubergine
xx
Squashes

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 23:21
by Snoop
xx
Squashes gone mad!

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:12
by Auntiemogs
xx
Squashes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 15:06
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 27 queries.