growing fennel

• 33 Replies

Spr0ut

Re: growing fennel
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 11:46 »
Unless I'm mistaken (I often am) - be careful to plant it on its own as it has chemicals it puts out of the roots to deal with any competing plants.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 12:07 »
The only time I have successfully grown fennel was the first time and I sowed a row and then forgot all about it.  They were masked by surrounding weeds until I suddenly came across this nice surprise of fully fledged fennel bulbs.  I've never managed any since, they have gone to seed very early both times.
Anne

Benandbill

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 06:23 »
It is now starting to get tall.  I can't tell whether this is meant to happen or if it's bolting, and tbh, I still don't know if it's bulb or herb variety.  I pulled the tallest one up which was about 3 ft, but the bulb was still pretty small and I couldn't help feeling I was wasting them when I was ripping off the long furry shoots and composting them?

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14 »
Sounds like it is the herb one
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 08:35 »
It is now starting to get tall.  I can't tell whether this is meant to happen or if it's bolting, and tbh, I still don't know if it's bulb or herb variety.  I pulled the tallest one up which was about 3 ft, but the bulb was still pretty small and I couldn't help feeling I was wasting them when I was ripping off the long furry shoots and composting them?

Sorry to disagree Snowy, but I think it's the bulb one and it's bolted. Mine got to 6ft when they bolted before.

Benandbill, it is a cool season crop, so likes Spring and Autumn to bulb up. It will quickly bolt in summer. If you sow some now you should have bulbs in Oct/Nov. Autumn sowings give bigger bulbs apparently, though I've not noticed much difference!

You can still eat the shoots in salad, or to add to sauces/flavour chicken or fish. And the steeped flowers make fennel tea, which is tasty and v. good for you.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44 »
That's ok I'll stand corrected :)

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 10:10 »
I put the seeds into two places on the Plot.   One site is flourishing and producing bulbs the other looks more like it has been attacked by Carrot Fly, bronzing of the leaves stunted etc.      Does the fly attack Fennel?  I have been told it does by some and no it doesn't by others.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29 »
Carrot fly will target any member of the family Umbelliferae, which includes Fennel unfortunately.

I've just sown some Florence Fennel, as I do most years because I really like the stuff, although results have always varied between almost and completely useless!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:32 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 14:19 »
The variety FINOCCHIO DI NAPOLI is a bulbing fennel and it's supposedly a giant variety! 

Which variety are you sowing now JayG?

I love the stuff! It's my fave veg so I was gutted when my first two sowings came up blank.  A third sowing is now doing really well and I have lots of lovely foot tall plants, and my final sowings have also got off the ground

I got a variety supposedly more bolt resistant but even so I wouldn't sow it in hot conditions.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 14:26 »
It's called Sirio (from Suttons) CQ.

Bit late really given that the packet states 14-16 weeks from sowing to harvesting, but at least they shouldn't have time to bolt!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 14:34 »
Ooooh not heard of that one!  I've got one from Real Seeds and was gutted when nothing showed. We got torrential rain the day after sowing so I think that's what the problem of lack of germination was.  They either washed away or didn't get through the hard pan which seemed to form on top of the soil after the downpour.  If that happens again I'll have to rake it over lightly to give them a chance.  I've got a small raised bed full mind you so quite happy with that as they'll make a good size before harvest. 

The fronds and stalks don't need composting! You can use them as stock veg. Delicious!!!!  Hoik them out your dish before serving. Job's a good un

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 23:55 »
Love growing and eating Fennel.
It usually bulbs up in the autumn and can be ready for around nov/dec. I try to have some for Christmas time!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 23:56 by marcofez »

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 23:57 »
Ready for Christmas even!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 00:58 »
I have tried several times to grow bulb fennel.  Never even get seedlings.  I'm presuming it's slugs.  I usually start things in modules to get round the slug problem, I don't think you can do this with fennel, is this correct?

AnneB

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 07:55 »
I usually start things in modules to get round the slug problem, I don't think you can do this with fennel, is this correct?

I always start mine in modules and they are always fine.

xx
growing fennel

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 11:42
by Schubunny
xx
Growing Fennel

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 19:29
by Christine
xx
Florence Fennel-growing on/feeding?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:47
by sunshineband
xx
Fennel

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 10:16
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 30 queries.