growing fennel

• 33 Replies

oldsod

growing fennel
« on: April 25, 2009, 14:27 »
I'm thinking of growing some fennel. But have heard that  need sandy soil! could i just dig some sharp sand around the area. any tips welcome on the best way to begin.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: growing fennel
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 14:52 »
Good luck, all mine & my fellow plots holder's ran straight to seed last year!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 17:10 »
I grew fennel on slatey, pretty dodo soil & it really thrived.  It's a fabulous plant for attracting hoverflies which are great pollinators but don't let it actually seed or you'll never see the end of it, you can use the seeds for cooking though.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 18:05 »
I just bunged my seeds in on soil which isn't sandy - it's clay but a bit dry 'cos of tree roots - and it thrived on neglect!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bomere

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 19:13 »
I have no problem at all.

Sowed it, thinned out  and did nothing else until time to harvest. If you can getit established it is very easy to grow.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 20:19 »
Yes we all had bolted bulb fennel last season but it tasted just fine even so.

oldsod

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 15:37 »
Thanks to all of you for the fennel advice. I'm  just going to whack it in with a touch of sand. just to keep faith with Dr Hessayon as well as your goodselves. Nothing ventured etc...

:blush:

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 21:25 »
Ours is growing well on clay soil. I think that as long as it's not compacted and claggy, it'll be fine.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

brinylon

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 22:44 »
Are you talking about florence (bulbing) fennel, or the herb? The herb will happily grow, self seed etc (which is ok, since it atracts beneficial insects), but the bulb seems to take fright at the first opportunity. I have now given up - the bolted bulbs tasted nice and I even managed to swallow some...

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 00:27 »
Are you talking about florence (bulbing) fennel, or the herb? The herb will happily grow, self seed etc (which is ok, since it atracts beneficial insects), but the bulb seems to take fright at the first opportunity. I have now given up - the bolted bulbs tasted nice and I even managed to swallow some...

Ooh good point,  I was talking about the feathery variety with yummy seeds. I've never tried the bulb variety as I'm not particularly fond of it.  :tongue2:

oldsod

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 21:10 »
I am talking about the bulb type. We really enjoy eating it. Very nice baked and also thinly sliced with a creamy sauce, garlic etc...

::)

Benandbill

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 18:00 »
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than get  a slapped wrist for starting a new one, this seems to be the most relevant one I could find to my question.

Having looked at the comments so far I hadn't even realised before there were herb varieties and bulb ones.  We were given a seed packet a few weeks ago but the language and therefore the instructions on the packet are in a language I don't understand.  After several weeks of outdoor germination seeds have started to come through and actually look as though they're doing quite well in the seed tray.  However, I have no idea really when they're ready to plant out.  Could anyone with an idea about growing this give me any ideas?  From the picture on the packet I'd say they look like the bulb variety.  Also, someone mentioned above about them getting 'established' - is it a very long growing season?  Any info at all would be welcome  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 18:40 »
Can you tell what the variety is called - what does the packet say about the name?

Here's the link on the main website to the bulb fennel growing instructions:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/fennel.php

Benandbill

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 20:37 »
We've only kept the top, it says FINOCCHIO DI NAPOLI (obviously Italian then  :)).  We were given another which says FINOCCHIO WADENROMEN, but it's the Napoli one we've planted.  Anyway, that gives me something to go on so I'll look it up somewhere.  Thanks, Yorkie, and thanks for the link also :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 18:43 »
Couple of Italian fennels on the real seeds website too, for reference:

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/fennel.html

xx
growing fennel

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 11:42
by Schubunny
xx
Growing Fennel

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 19:29
by Christine
xx
Florence Fennel-growing on/feeding?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:47
by sunshineband
clip
Fennel

Started by Belle Windsor-Jenkins on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 16:22
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 29 queries.