Cold frames and Greenhouses

• 3 Replies

Shamps

Cold frames and Greenhouses
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:41 »
Hi folks,

In terms of growing etc... whats the difference between cold frames and greenhouses  :unsure:

noshed

Re: Cold frames and Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:08 »
They are approximately the same but greenhouses are obviously bigger and can be heated etc. I have a home-made greenhouse and two home-made cold frames. I tend to start most things in the greenhouse and move the hardier things like brassicas into the cold frame.
When summer comes I have to take everything out because it will frizzle up.
I have a greenhouse thermometer and it is not completely frost free (slightly draughty) but it is easy to chuck some bubble wrap or fleece about if necessary.
I put slug pellets down in the cold frames because they act as a lovely home for slugs and snails.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Shamps

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:34 »
Thanks for that,

I dont yet have greenhouse on there, but we do have a cute little cold frame with a few bits and bats growing in it plus the slug pellets. 

It just got me thinking when I was putting it all together, is there a reason why some people have both a coldframe/greenhouse or neither etc.... just my pondering mind..

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 13:31 »
Cold frame would be good for early crops, and also a late harvest - Lettuce, Swiss chard and some Carrots.  The greenhouse would be too hot from about May, or maybe June, onwards for them, but assuming you can take the lid right off the cold frame it would behave like an upmarket Cloche :)

Cold frame is better for hardening things off than carrying them out of the greenhouse in the morning, and back in the evening, because the more the plants are moved the more chance of dropping / bruising / breaking something.  Actually I expect a cold frame could survive warmer than a cold greenhouse on a heavy frost night if you had some thick carpet, or somesuch, to put over it (and if the walls were insulated)

xx
Cold Frames

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 13:46
by Babstreefern
xx
Cold Frames

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 18:06
by GillyHen
xx
cold frames

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 15:35
by Trillium
xx
Cold Frames

Started by ziggywigs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2007, 22:43
by muntjac

Page created in 1.056 seconds with 30 queries.