Conifers and laylandei effects on crops

• 1 Replies

Rowan

• Experienced Member
Conifers and laylandei effects on crops
« on: April 20, 2009, 13:06 »
Hi

We moved house and got a lovely big garden with a patch we have cleared for veg. However along the back of the patch are laylandei or big conifers and i was told these turn the soil very acidic is this true?

What would be the best crops to grow near to them?

We are lucky enough to have inherited some red/black currant goosberry and raspberry bushes, there is a trellis at the back of them and i want to grow something the other side of the trellis, are there any plants that arn't good next to fruit bushes??

Thanks

paintedlady

Re: Conifers and laylandei effects on crops
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 13:56 »
Should be perfect for blueberries then  ;)  I'd have thought outdoor tomatoes, potatoes, celery/celeriac, courgette/marrows/squash and sweetcorn would be fine (that is, most summer fruiting crops).  Perhaps when planting other non-acidic tolerant veg you could add a bit of lime and crushed eggshells to the planting hole?  Why don't you do a pH test on the soil first then you'll know just how bad/not so bad the problem is (you can get cheap kits from garden centres)

As for what to plant next to fruit bushes ... depends how close you are talking.  Fruit bushes in my opinion are considered long-term/investment compared to an annual crop so I wouldn't want to grow anything too close that would rob them of sun, nutrients or water.  If the crop is some distance off, I see no problem of growing whatever you like  :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
After the conifers

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 17:44
by RichardA
xx
conifers in garden

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 12:44
by JayG
xx
How long to get effects from fertilisers?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 08:01
by mumofstig
xx
Effects of a long early freeze

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 00:02
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 27 queries.