Auto vent window openers

• 6 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Auto vent window openers
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:54 »
I have built my own wooden greenhouse, which at the moment has manual levers for opening the windows. I have nine windows in all which are vertical windows in two opposite sides of the greenhouse. I want to replace these with the auto vent openers to keep the greenhouse at a more constant temperature. I know they are not cheap and nine will cost me a few bob, so I want to get the right ones to start with. There are a few different types on the market which I have no knowledge about can anyone recommend a decent auto vent to buy.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

matron

Re: Auto vent window openers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:01 »
Can't help I'm afraid. OH bought one last year but he hasn't fixed it yet  >:( . I'm hoping he will this year.
Depending on how big your green house is though would nine not be a little too many? Would you actually want all the windows open at the same time?

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:09 »
The greenhouse is fifteen foot square (225sq ft) and is in full sun all day, it gets pretty hot by mid afternoon even with the windows open. The catches fitted now only open them about 8 inches which isn't enough to let a proper breeze through. I know the auto vent's open much wider than that and will save me a lot of time and keep the greenhouse cooler.

Robbo.

BazTheGardener

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22 »
I've got the common hydraulic sort, seems to be ok there are some ones that work off solar power but not tried these. Also have an auto louver window opener which aids in giving a good air flow.
First Time Veg grower

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 20:37 »
It sounds as if you have your opening windows on the vertical sides of your greenhouse, like in my homemade one. I fitted three of the automatic ones on a greenhouse 8 ft x 10 ft.
While they are designed and made for roof opening ventilators, where the weight of the window fully closes them, if you fit them to vertical windows, you may need to help them to close fully by fitting the device which consists of a stone in a net, suspended from twine passing over a bent nail, and attached to the window. It sounds heath robinson like but it has worked well for 10 years.

This is it:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 20:18 by Aunt Sally »

David.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 20:57 »
can anyone recommend a decent auto vent to buy

Bayliss are the only ones I would consider:

http://www.bayliss.uk.com

Produced by an English company since 1964, that will provide spares and guidance on how to rejuventate them - I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:46 »

Have a Halls/Bayliss/generic type meself (£18) off the net, working well as the greenhouse was getting up near 40C before I put the shading in this week...

See, its not that grim up North, greehouse is sheltered, south and west facing, and gets sun almost all day!!

Bring on the peppers and toms!!

Cheshire Phill

xx
Auto Vent Openers For Greenhouses.....Could you tweek it?

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:17
by richyrich7
xx
Translucent roofing panels or vent window?

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 22:42
by VirginVegGrower
xx
Growing in window boxes

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 17:11
by Chrysalis
xx
auto irrigation system

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 21:28
by Doddy

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 30 queries.