soft/empty eggs

• 14 Replies

Cat

soft/empty eggs
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:53 »
My hens have just started laying. I have 7 and I have noticed that there were 4 "empty" eggs.  The shell is soft and it feels a bit like plastic. There was nothing inside, just this empty "shell" Is this normal in the beginning? Do I need to give them more calcium? We have had 3 eggs in 2 days and 4 empty eggs. I don't know who is laying the eggs.

Also my one hen has this big red "ball" by her bum. She didn't have it yesterday. It is about the size of a golf ball. It is red and swollen. Should I be worried?

Thanks
Lead, follow or get out of the way

Roughlee Handled

Re: soft/empty eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:43 »

When you say there is nothing in side do you mean no yolk? Do they have egg white?
I would say these are "wind eggs" and nothing to worry about. But you should supply your chucks with oyster shell or save your egg shells and nuke them in the microwave and crush them and give them back to your chucks.  It is a big thing for a chucks body when it starts laying.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Cat

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11 »
Thanks, yes the eggs have no yolk or white. We do give them oyster shells and we dry our egg shells out in the oven for them. I was also told to give them the shells from shrimp or crabs? Will that also help?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:15 »
...........I was also told to give them the shells from shrimp or crabs? Will that also help?
Never heard that one but as long as they have been cooked long enough I would have thought so.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:44 »
Cat, the big red ball you describe sounds like a prolapse to me. That is where part of  the inside protrudes externally due to the strain of laying an egg. Check though there is no egg there as well.
If it has not returned to normal you will need to gently (after washing with tepid salty water) pop in back in, and apply some preparation H (piles cream from any chemist an will reduce the inflammed tissue) You can also give a child dispersible aspirin.
If it pops out again she will probably need to see a poultry friendly vet.
What are you feeding the hens on cat? might be a good idea to stop any treats ,including mixed corn for a while and make sure plenty of ad-lib oyster shell available to ensure they are getting enough calcium and not to many treats as a heavy hen is very prone to laying probs like prolapsing. Hope this helps and please keep us posted! Good luck! :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46 »
OMG I missed that bit about the ball.  I must be half asleep today. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55 »
OMG I missed that bit about the ball.  I must be half asleep today. :ohmy: :ohmy:

not got a wee headache ruff??? :D

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05 »
er no.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04 »
Nice view form your window Ruff  ::)

The soft eggs will have ruptured and the chooks will have eaten the contents.  Foxy's advice about the prolapse is spot on.  If the problem continues the vet may advise you to separate her and reduce her feed to stop her laying eggs for a while so that the tissues can recover.

Cat

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10 »
Thanks for all your help. I will check her again tomorrow morning. They are all asleep now. How often does this occur? We are going to Hong Kong next week for a few days and now I am worried that it will happen again. Our neighbor is going to look after them for the few days and I know she won't touch them.  :(

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 14:27 »
Thanks for all your help. I will check her again tomorrow morning. They are all asleep now. How often does this occur? We are going to Hong Kong next week for a few days and now I am worried that it will happen again. Our neighbor is going to look after them for the few days and I know she won't touch them.  :(

prolapse are an abnormal event, due to incorrect diet, overweight hens or simply the bird is predisposed to the problem. It might be worth separating her for now as the other hens might be tempted to peck at the exposed tissue.

Cat

Re: soft/empty eggs/prolapse
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 23:45 »
This morning I checked her and it wasn't so swollen as before. But there was an egg that was stuck. I had to break the egg to get it out. I cleaned her up and everytime I pushed it back in she pushed out. It is not totally in but I would say about 90% in. I put on some cream and I will check her again later today.  She is one of my smallest hens so I don't think that it could be caused by her being over weight. She eats the same as the other hens and so far none of them have the problem.

My food mix has crushed corn in it and I do give them extra corn in the afternoon. I will stop that for a while and see how she goes. 

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:48 »
good luck Cat... hope she gets sorted

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:21 »
Good luck Cat, sounds a lot more optimistic.

Cat

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:17 »
Well I had her in a separate cage and she laid an egg this morning. She is not 100% better but I am sure with more cream and some more time she should be okay. I am so happy. It looks like we are on the road to recovery.  :D

xx
chuck passing soft empty eggs

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 12:51
by kittyb
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft eggs

Started by Gosling on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 08:55
by compostqueen
xx
3 soft eggs....why???

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 22:22
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 30 queries.