Soft eggs

• 8 Replies

Gosling

Soft eggs
« on: July 31, 2010, 22:59 »
I have an amber hen who is about 10 month old. For the past 4 months (at least) she has been laying soft eggs.  She has access to water, layers pellets, grit and has occasional treats.  She is regularly powdered against mites etc so I'm now at a complete loss as to what the problem is can anyone offer any suggestions please as the other hens are becoming interested in eating the egg and it is making the coup smell badly.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Soft eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:46 »
Hi there, you say she has grit but does she have access to oyster shell? they need a certain amount of calcium to help with the shell. Also letting them have access to greens such as cabbage, broccoli etc at all times can help with the calcium intake.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:49 »
I completely agree with sneezer :)
All lives are precious.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:34 »
I give mine oyster shell it is in a small flower pot attached to the mesn of the run, they also have crushed egg shells that are baked a and crushed up small :)

Gosling

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 21:06 »
Thanks for your responses, yes she does have oyster grit but nothing seems to help.  I've read somewhere it might be an oviduct problem and wondered if anything can be done about that?

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 21:13 »
My girl is two and a half years now and she now lays hardly any eggs at all but if she does they're always softies. She has everything she could possibly need and has recently been wormed with Flubenvet. She seems just fine  and very happy so I've stopped worrying as I don't think there's anything more I can do.  She is a super girly in every way, apart from the lack of eggs  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58 »
She could have a problem absorbing the calcium, does she get enough greens?
If all else fails and she won't eat the oyster shell - you can add the following:-
1)washed, baked and crushed egg shells put in with her feed,
2)poultry spice mixed in with her feed - this is over 20% calcium,
3)a pinch of limestone flour given to just her on a wet treat - such as half a grape of a couple of pieces of sweetcron. Do not give this for more than 2 weeks though.

At all times make sure she has some dark leafy greens - spinach is good as is cabbage.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Gosling

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:52 »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I'll try the limestone flour and poultry spice and see what happens.  One thing i forgot to mention is her top beak is half the size of her lower one, do you think this may be contributing to the problem?

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:55 »
It could be that she doesn't get her share, so try and make sure she gets equal rations. Easier said than done I know

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
soft eggs?

Started by Feeb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 23:17
by Feeb
xx
Soft Eggs

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 10:57
by compostqueen
clip
soft eggs

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 09:28
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 37 queries.