New plot goning to waste-rabbits getting the better of me. What to do ?

• 37 Replies

David.

In general, rabbits will not eat squash, cucumbers, tomatoes (although sometimes they will "taste" the stems), corn, potatoes or peppers.

I've had rabbits ruin squashes, nibble tomatoes, eat young sweetcorn (and wheat) down to ground, and decide to make their burrows amongst potato beds.

And due to their scratching habits, they are likely to be a pest of whatever seed you sow.

FCG

Catch the suckers! They are a bonus 'crop' that came with the plot :D

a1adviser

40 years ago my father had a rabbit problem on his allotment and an old guy suggested placing used shoes around the perimetre as they would smell the human scent and not come forwards.   

My father proceeded to go to a jumble sale as it was closing and bought a potato sack of shoes for next to nothing and placed them around the perimeter and there was a lot less rabbit damage from then on.

Has any one else heard of this??

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
"you could always buy a lurcher 
that would scare them of."

Like the one in my avatar perhaps?  Both of my lurchers would surely love a plot bristling with bunnies  :)

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
ok i know this can be a touchy subject but if done well can be the most humane way to get rid of an rabbit problem! a cheap weirauch 80 air rifle a clean kill would mean head or heart shot. head is best! alternatively if you have a barbers close by ask for a sack of hair fill some old tights with it in balls and hang them all around the perimeter of your allotment. then on occasion  pea on the hair the smell of humans puts the fear of god into em! also if you would like to attract them elsewhere an old hunting trick is to bait out with lard they will all congregate near the lard rather than your allotment just check that the lard is not all being eaten every other day and replace as often as is needed. the ferret idea given earlier is allso a good one they musk alot and can be quite a smelly animal but worth there weight in gold if you want to keep your veg!!!!! hope this helps some! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

kinola

Hindy and I lost loads to the rabbits before we put fencing up - wasn't hugely expensive either.
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

lisa80

Im sure i read some where there is a plant you can use to deter rabbits not sure what its called maybe worth googling it .

ferret and net

if they are on near by land have a chat with the land owner ask him to take measures
as its their legal duty to, or ask local to your self for a ferreter and they should do the trick for you.

xx
Composting green waste on plot

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 19:05
by Thrutchington
xx
now thats rabbits!!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 20:43
by celtbhoy
xx
Rabbits

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 06:58
by Springlands
xx
Rabbits and . . . ?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 09:27
by woodburner

Page created in 1.596 seconds with 30 queries.