sowing seeds and then lookinga after the plants

• 16 Replies

muntjac

« on: March 25, 2007, 19:45 »
With the first warm days of spring, gardeners are anxious to get their vegetable seed in the ground. Unfortunately, it is not the air temperature, but the soil temperature that controls seed germination. We have to wait for the soil temperature to reach the optimum for a specific crop if we hope to get a good stand of vigorous seedlings.

Planting at Minimum Temperature for Germination Means It Will Take Longer

Some books give minimum temperatures for germination. This is the lowest temperature at which germination will occur for that crop, but the length of time for germination will be much longer than at optimum temperatures. Seed can be planted when the soil temperature reaches minimum level for that seed on the assumption that the temperature will continue to rise and germination will proceed at a rapid rate. Planting at a lower temperature results in greatly reduced germination.

Some crops require fluctuating temperatures that may be on a daily or seasonal basis. In addition, temperature is interrelated with light in certain crops. For example, celery requires temperatures below 50F to germinate if held in the dark at a constant temperature, but even in diffused light, will germinate at 70F; and with a 10 degree day/night fluctuation, will germinate at an 85F day temperature.

High Temperatures Can Be Problems, Too

While many experienced gardeners have come to recognize this minimum temperature limit in the spring (often by trial and error), it remains difficult to understand that soil temperature is equally important in the summer when high temperature can cause dormancy, even death of seeds. The upper limits of soil temperatures for vegetable seed survival range between 86F and 104F. No crops tested at 113F survived more than 24 hours. Even when seeds do germinate in high temperature soil, the seedlings may die from the heat. The impact of excessively high temperature is not limited exclusively to soil temperature. Seed stored at high temperatures, such as in a car with all the windows closed on a late spring or summer day, may result in slow, erratic germination or in poor development of the seedlings. The home gardener who wishes to get off to an early and vigorous start has several options at hand. Seed may be pregerminated indoors to overcome the soil temperature problem, then planted outside as long as the air temperature remains high enough to avoid frost or cold damage.

Raise Soil Temperature by Using Black and Clear Plastic

The outdoor soil temperature may be manipulated by covering the ground first with black plastic, then clear plastic with an air layer between formed by a series of thin strips of wood. The clear plastic traps solar heat, the black plastic absorbs it, and the air layer insulates and reduces loss due to convection and radiation. A good soil thermometer is important so you can see when the soil has warmed sufficiently to allow planting of the seed.

VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY
still alive /............

philmay

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 19:54 »
Interesting, What book is that copied from?

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 19:55 »
there ya go its virginia state uni

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 20:28 »
Or you could do it the old timers way... put yer bear bum on the ground  :lol:

And no I don't before you ask  :D  I just stick me finger in the ground instead.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 20:44 »
Much has been written about soaking peas and beans before planting

... the one thing I have learnt is that if trying to 'force' the issue and sow early ... don't soak peas ... if the weather stays cold and the soil damp ... the peas rot !!  :shock:  :roll:  :lol:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: sowing seeds and then lookinga after the plants
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 23:12 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
With the first warm days of spring, gardeners are anxious to get their vegetable seed in the ground. Unfortunately, it is not the air temperature, but the soil temperature that controls seed germination. We have to wait for the soil temperature to reach the optimum for a specific crop if we hope to get a good stand of vigorous seedlings.
AH :roll: So it looks like I was right  :?: to cover some of my raised beds with clear plastic to warm the soil before planting? What would this apply to MJ? Brassicas? Peas? Beans?
Jim
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 23:14 »
by the time ur planting brassicas the soil should be warm anyways matey in start may

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 23:18 »
Thanks for that info Munty.

Even if the soil is warm enough for germination, light levels are also very importaint for strong plant growth.

(PS. I thought the spelling was good for you Munty  :lol:  )

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 23:20 »
you mean ..... to good sally ..... lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 23:22 »
:lol:

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 23:24 »
i came acros it when i read the other posts about stuff being cold and i just wacked a picture in it , forgot to give the name ..says it better than i could

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 23:42 »
by the time ur planting brassicas the soil should be warm anyways matey in start may

Forgive my ignorance Munty, but why can't I plant cabbage and caulis now?

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 23:46 »
ya can sow the seed mate but id wait a while to put my plants in end april or there abouts . summer cabbage can be sown in feb inside but outside march .  summer cauliflower is jan under glass in some areas but id still wait till april to stick em outside

agapanthus

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 11:00 »
Quote from: "Jim T"

Forgive my ignorance Munty, but why can't I plant cabbage and caulis now?

I've got some plants ready too. ?

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 11:06 »
well if they aready aggy you can plant em out and protect them for a while longer with fleece etc if its gonna get cold they will be fine and hardened off properly  by about a fortnight so wont need any cover  :wink:   :D

xx
Sowing plug plants

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:19
by Michael D
xx
Sowing seeds

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 22:49
by mumofstig
xx
Sowing seeds now

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2018, 22:13
by sunshineband
xx
sowing seeds

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 07:45
by lucywil

Page created in 1.338 seconds with 36 queries.