Help - its happened!

• 29 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Re: Help - its happened!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02 »
I was in exactly that position this time last year (actually found I had got the plot a day before I had to work abroad for a month). I had successes and failures, but what worked was to clear perennial weeds from beds as you go (there are so many and the soil so heavy here it takes me 1 hour per square metre) and plant things that will still grow in less than perfect soil and with a few weeds around them (spuds, cabbage, beans, courgette etc). Now I am digging over the 'paths' between last years beds and enlarging them. At the rate i have time to work it, I am not expecting to get the plot clear enough to start planning planting, rather than plant as I make space, for some years.

Charlie

archibtbm

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 09:41 »
Once the hard graft is done, mainly at weekends to get the plot in shape it would take about 30 minutes per day to keep on top of IMHO.  As has been mentioned by others just don't try an do too much otherwise you'll become disheartened quickly.

One thing I found useful was putting in raised beds which has made weeding a lot easier, I still have large areas for spuds, cabbage etc... which get tackled with a rotavotor , good for getting the stress out of the system :D

Ropster

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 09:44 »
Hi allotless

I too am a london commuter and still hold down a plot
I do about half a day at the weekends and watering in the evening's during the summer if it is hot.

I am a big fan of weed matting or cardboard as if the weeds cant grow, you dont need to weed them. saves a huge ammount of time and makes the place look tidy

also , as gwiz says the hoe is your friend where you cant weed mat

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 11:03 »
Welcome to the forums. :)
There was a chap on telly quite a while back now, that ran a plot with just half an hour a day. He was religious about attending every day, rain or shine and he had some kind of system of planning what to do the night before or something.
As for ways to cut down on work, Bob Flowerdew has lots of excellent advice. (I have his book The No Work Garden). HTH :)

Half an hour per day is a good rule of thumb to keep it under control. Using that rule it doesn't matter if you do 3.5h on a Saturday and nothing untl the next Saturday.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 13:20 »
I commute to London, have a 1 year old baby and only got the Allotment last autumn. I have prepared ¾ of it and have veg either in or planned. All this was done by a 2 hour stint EVERY weekend while nipper went for a morning nap.

My advice is therefore little and often – fit it in around your normal routine and you will be surprised what progress you make.

I would also suggest putting a covering (or a low maintenance crop that covers such as spuds/ cabbage/ squash) in as you go. The weeds are enjoying the spring weather down here and if you don’t keep on top of them it will soon become like the forth railway bridge!

paintedlady

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 14:26 »
Hi Allotless - I can highly recommend covering large areas with black plastic sheeting, weighted down with something like bricks.  Whatever areas you don't manage to clear and cultivate this year, will be still under some sort of control by the time you get round to it  ;)  Time-wise, I'm an early bird and will go about 2-4 times during the working week early in the morning (about 6.00am in summer) for up to 45 minutes usually with a specific task in mind like maintenance jobs (watering, weed/tidy a bed, plant out some seedlings, harvesting) and most Sundays are for the more time consuming jobs which includes a good natter with friends or neighbours    :D 

My one advice is never to dwell on things that have gone wrong, but to see them as lessons to be learned for next time  ;)  Good luck with your new plot.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 15:04 »
Go for it or you'll regret it for the rest of your life  ::)

There's some great advice above, covering is a brilliant way of buying time, just don't use carpet. Get a roll of black DPM plastic, if you do a search on 'evilbay' you'll see quite a bit of it. I bought a roll locally off there, ' POLYTHENE DAMP PROOF MEMBRANE
SIZE 4m X 25m X 300 um 1200 GAUGE'
I paid £20 for it, which I think was a bargin  :D
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

allotless

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 16:27 »
Thanks for all the encouragement, I will keep you posted and no doubt plagued with stupid questions.

sorry to the mods, was only saying hello and got carried away!

Allotless

poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 16:31 »
No apology needed alotless. :)

Just make sure you keep us all updated on your progress and ask plenty of questions. :)

No questions are stupid, but some of the answers may be  ::)

Rob 8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 17:19 »
No apology needed alotless. :)

Indeed. Your post was a breath of fresh air!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gidster

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 20:49 »
i had the same worries Allotless,

would i have enough time,where do i start,what the the hell do i do. that was a few months back and im learning bit by bit,i think

i work 60 + hrs a week on the M1 and also have a young family but now the light nights are here i can have an hour after work a couple of days a week and more on a sunday.the kids like going down there as well. my allotments only a 5 min walk so its not bad.

but im in it for the long haul.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 12:18 »
Best of luck with your plot, allotless  :)

Reading this, I can't believe how many people have to travel such distances EVERY DAY to get to work! Two hours each way in some cases!! Must be VERY tiring! Fair play to them being able for that, I can't imagine it! Makes me appreciate even more that I work a 15 min walk from home! My plot is also about a 15 min walk from home  :)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 14:15 »
Hi Allotless,
My OH has horrendous commutes so i can understand your concern. Took my allotment on last October, it was completely covered in grass, which i have been slowly clearing - apart from a patch of brambles at one end - i like blackberries so they can stay for now  :tongue2:  I have managed to clear 2/3 of it - enough to put in 6 x 10 foot rows of spuds, some raspberries strawberries, asparagus and a few rows of carrots, parsnips & beets & chard. Just got me bean poles up and clearing more ground for mangetoute & leeks.
Spose I put in about 3 -4 hours a week, sometimes more. Nature gets it right in that the really hot months we do have more daylight hours so getting up there to water will be easier - I'm assuming you get in about 7 ish and leave about the same time.
If you're an early riser you could get up there really early before work, or if you're a night owl then a trek over at 8.30 might be doable!
A lot will depend on what state your allotment is in - just do little & often so you don't get fed up and backache - plant something even if it's just there in a pot - it's YOURS and YOU have grown it - it will feel great.
You mentioned fruit - Autumn raspberries are easy, but can't go in now until the winter, fruit trees can go in if in pots, but not bare rooted. I got a load of blackcurrant cuttings from my neighbour and about 75% of them have rooted in my back garden, so I'll transfer them to the allotment in the winter.
Rhubarb is dead easy, fruit trees might require a pollinating partner, it depends what type they are, and you need to be careful how big they get - some lalotments won't allow new trees to be planted so you'd have to check your bye laws.
Asparagus is a good long term moneysaver, once you've got the ground prepared.
So my top ten "easy" veg that can be left alone a fair bit would be
Rhubarb
Raspberries
Carrots
Beets
Spuds
Currants
Parsnips
Garlic
Bush cherry tomatoes
Little gem lettuce - these last 2 will need a fair bit of watering though; the lettuce need slug protection and your berries will need netting to stop the local birdies becoming your new "best friends  :mad: "
I haven't included brassicas as they need a bit of looking after in terms of preventing cabbage root fly & cabbage white butterflies and they are in the ground a long time - but I'm sure others will disagree with my list. Courgettes are also fairly easy but do need a LOT of watering!

HTH
Janeymiddlewife - fairly new to all this  :blink:

chickchick

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 23:12 »
just wanted to say hi and welcome!!
i know exactly where the allotments are, i used to live in horsham and southwater, so big welcome from me and good luck!
we did well in our first year (last year) so look forward to your first harvest!!

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 03:25 »
I take my hat off to all those who do massive commuting (and some with young families as well) as well as manage allotments - I'll never again complain about a 30-minute commute, even if I do have to figure all the cooking and housework into my free time!

xx
What happened to my blackcurrants ?

Started by Vegpot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 00:40
by Trillium
xx
What's happened to my garlic?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 13:11
by Flowertot
xx
OOPPS What happened here?

Started by harding24 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 12:08
by Kathie
xx
What has happened to my seedlings??

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 18:47
by Kristen

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 28 queries.