At long last !

• 3 Replies

Thamesmeadhammer

• Tony & Ali's Allotment
At long last !
« on: March 30, 2009, 20:48 »
Well we have finally started growing our own stuff at long last !
The plot has started to dry up and this weekend we managed to get the raised bed going after the recent good spell of weather and put down some red onions and garlic.

Mrs Thamesmeadhammer has started the carrots off in a massive tub we found, but she failed to planted on rows and simple sprinkled the seeds everywhere !
Got a cheap plastic greenhouse from Wilkinsons, some seeds, compost and started planting and wait for the little * to shoot.
Hopefully Toms, Beetroots, Courgettes, Chillis and Parsnips will be planted on the lot before we go away on holiday.

Also made plans for a shed.......mmmmmmm......fun and games

Also I started to clear the second plot and will make plans for it to be next years Mediterranean veg while plot one will the good old classic Northern Europe veg

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: At long last !
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 21:09 »
sounds like you have it all planned! good luck

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11 »
Mrs Thamesmeadhammer has started the carrots off in a massive tub we found, but she failed to planted on rows and simple sprinkled the seeds everywhere !
Technical term for that is 'broadcast'. I almost always do that in my seed trays and sometimes in the garden too. It's only a problem if you have lots of weed seeds germinate, and you don't know what the one's you sowed look like.
Carrots have long thin seed leaves, almost grass like, and can be slow to germinate.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33 »
Last year I tried the broadcast way for carrots, after hand weeding for about half an hour and with about another 15 feet to do, I decided to hoe the lot and re-sow in strait lines the traditional way.
Paul

xx
how long

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 21:47
by lightyears
xx
It won't be long now!

Started by mumsy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 23:17
by unaspenser
xx
How long?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 09:07
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
how long.....

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 08:46
by Noah'strolly

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 27 queries.