Chook isn't well (poss eggbound)- any thoughts please? Photo of egg added

• 15 Replies

shiatsusu

For the last 2 days we've had 2 small soft shelled eggs in the house first thing. Not sure who laid them. Our Maran started laying 2 weeks ago and for the last 2 days she's been in and out of the house to lay but hasn't produced anything. She's had a damp rear end for a few days too but has been eating, drinking, behaving as normal until this morning. Last night all the poos in the house were normal. Today she ate some breakfast but is now fluffed up, tail down, not her usual self at all. I checked for eggs in her but am not sure whether I've done it properly- would there be an obvious lump if she were egg bound and where would you feel it? I didn't want to press too hard. There was some heat to the bottom left of her back end. I have a strong feeling this is egg related- can anyone help please I'm very worried about her. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 13:02 by shiatsusu »

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: Chook isn't well- any thoughts please?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:33 »
Could it be here that is laying the soft eggs? and if so could one have broken inside her hence the damp rear end.

If it were me I would have her indoors and I would put my finger very carefully inside her to check to see if there is anything there. If she is egg bound you should be able to feel the egg from the outside. You must be careful not to break the egg if there is one stuck.

If your unsure get her to a vet.

Good luck.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:27 »
Some advice on a thread here...

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=23176.msg275497#msg275497

If you search for eggbound, you may find other advice.

Got to dash.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:04 »
I agree with Kim here, I think she may have a soft shelled egg inside, they are very hard to pass for a hen and can make them feel  miserable. If the egg has broken this can lead to an internal infection. Has she passed any yellowish droppings? That as well as a swollen abdomen will indicate this.

If she is just eggbound speed is critical and may need the vet to give a calcium injection if she does not pass her self very soon.

In the meantime, crush a calcium tablet and add to her water -or if you can get hold of liquid calcium pop a little on a peice of bread/grape and offer. Sit her bottom in a nice warm bath to enable her muscles to relax and the warmth may help her pass the egg. If you have poultry spice (contains calcium and other useful minerals) add to her food  and mix with a tsp cod liver oil
Good luck!

poultrygeist

Re: Chook isn't well (poss eggbound)- any thoughts please?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:22 »
I've added to the thread title to reflect current thoughts.

Keep us posted on progress susu.

Rob 8)

shiatsusu

Hi all, thanks so much for the advice- useful as always. Well I put Ren in the sink first thing and gave her a warm bath, then managed to get some olive oil inside her and about half an hour ago she was straining like mad and this came out (see pic). She is now looking much better- my only concern is whether this indicates she has a problem making her eggs or if it's just teething problems as she's new to it all. She free ranges most days and has pellets and a little corn, porridge for breakfast and oyster shell when she wants it. It looks to me like 3 eggs were trying to form which makes sense as she hasn't laid for 3 days, assuming the soft eggs in the house were from another of the girls. Her last egg 3 days ago was perfect. Any thoughts?
Rennie's blocked egg.jpg

poultrygeist

Look like early attempts to me.

I would cut out the porridge and try to get more pellets and calcium inside her. The corn later on might even be better stopped for a while, just in case she's short of calcium.

Glad she wasn't eggbound. It must be very traumatic for them. :(

Rob 8)

shiatsusu

I think I'd better get some liquid calcium and poultry spice to add to the hen keeping cupboard- are there specific types to look out for and should the calcium be just calcium or is it ok with other minerals added too?

ps- Many thanks all- you were the first folks I thought of this morning in my predicament and it is a huge relief to have you all here to help and advise. I knew you'd all come up with helpful reassuring practical advice and you did! I just hope she will be ok as she's such a great character hopping in and out of the house through the cat flap and jumping on my plate at lunch time. It would be very upsetting if she wasn't here anymore.

poultrygeist

jumping on my plate at lunch time.

:ohmy:  That's a dangerous habit for a chicken  :unsure:

Rob 8)

shiatsusu

I'd never eat any of my girls Rob!  :ohmy: (they all do it- puppy get's furious and herds them away!!)

poultrygeist

Glad to hear it.  :)

Rubellite

Oh dear, Susu - I hope you get Ren sorted out - what a worry :blink:
Sending good vibes and healing hugs from the Essex counterparts.

Foxy

Thats good news!

Add poultry spice and and cod liver oil once a week to their feed for a couple of weeks. I would just pop a calcium effervescent tab in their drinking water just for now (will help her push the egg out if she gets stuck again in the next few days). Make sure good quality oyster shell is available, no treats (as Rob suggests) and they should be fine, I am sure she is just getting used to laying.
For reference there is a calcium supplement available for birds called "calcivet"

http://www.24parrot.com/Product-Calcivet-Liquid-Calcium--D3-Supplement--5-sizes-P6300a/

shiatsusu

Thanks Rubes- will pass on your message to the girls- Mavis says hi to Myrtle and asks whether she's feeling ready to lay anything blue yet?

Foxy- thanks for your message and all the info. I've just been out and got some poultry spice and will find some ca tabs and tell the kids to lay off the treats. The porridge I give the girls is vitamin enriched, including calcium- d'you think I should stop giving it to them or not?

Feeling much better now  ;)

Foxy

probably best to stick to pellets for now, oats dont offer much nutrition wise and may may them put on weight which increases the risk of laying problems.

question
poss poorly chook

Started by melanshel on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 19:21
by melanshel
xx
Eggbound chook

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 11:10
by ANHBUC
xx
Happy chook owner! :) - Pics added

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 13:00
by kimT
exclamation
Red lump on hen's foot!!!!! Photo now added

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 23:33
by Kym503

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 32 queries.