Happy chook owner! :) - Pics added

• 35 Replies

Porffor

« on: May 23, 2008, 19:39 »
Technically an owner as i paid for them but they are not moving in till sunday.. the shop said they are 'french bronzes' but i've googled them and can't find a breed with that name...  :oops: I'll post some pics on Sunday, didn't think to take my camera today.  :roll:  :lol:

Run is now nearly complete, just a door to make. :) And the netting to fix on when all is done. :) The shop said they could fly to about 4 foot, as unclipped. Hubby has a severe hatred of the idea of clipping, so we'll use netting till they are homed and then see how it goes... we're talking 'supervised' free-range when we are around at the moment. :)

I have painted the renovated hutch - oh and yes it IS purple!  :lol: well lilac actually. This is why the chooks are not coming home today. figured the fumes need to go before they move in.  

Have Layers pellets and grit at home now, and a water and feed containter (the upside down type).

Next questions from me....
Can get oyster shell too - is that the stuff you use to help produce the shells? And when should i feed that when they start laying? or sooner?

HOW should i go about settling them in? and showing them their house?

How big should their 'hole' be to get out of the house?

And is it ok (like the shop told me) to leave the feed and water outside the house? or is it better (due to rats/mice etc) to have that in the house?

Can't wait for sunday now! lol

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 20:15 »
The pophole needs to be big enough for them to walk through without banging their heads and wide enough obviously.

Our feeder is hanging up under the run so outside but covered. Rats can technically get into the run but so far no sign. Food always in feeder overnight. Also water is under coop too. If your run is fairly open (gaps/mesh size more than 13mm) then rats can get in. Mice will fit anywhere you can poke your finger (maybe less) :shock:

Oyster shell is for shell-making, yes. If you leave it in a separate hopper somewhere, they take it as they need it.

If you put them in the coop to start with, they'll know where home is.
We had to place ours in the coop at bedtime for 2 or 3 nights but they soon get used to it. Especially if you promise to read to them.

Rob

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 20:32 »
I sing mine a Goodnight song ...... only kidding  :oops:

Good luck with the chooks, Porfor, you'll love 'em.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 20:39 »
mine like to be tucked in at night, sponge bob duvets  :roll: and the young ones like a nite lite until they have fallen alseep.

they also like bibs so they dont get dinner down their feathers  :D velco not tie fastening...very fussy girls

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 20:40 »
:) Thanks so much for the info! :) The wire we bought was chicken wire just checked the paperwork and it's 25mm - so yes rats 'can' get in. We have wire on front and right side, with a rustic screen on the back and left side (this was in place already). The hutch is on the ground (well short feet) so might be best to bring the food in (or put it in the shed when we put the guinea pigs to bed (at dusk). Just so it doesn't encourage them. :)

Will ge another feeder - will try and get a smaller one for the oyster shell. :)

Thanks also for the tips on bedtime too. :)
thanks fifi- :) am looking forward to getting used to our chooks. They are apparantly a couple of weeks off laying, so fingers x'd.. but i know the move may delay that. :)

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 20:42 »
Quote from: "babe"
mine like to be tucked in at night, sponge bob duvets  :roll: and the young ones like a nite lite until they have fallen alseep.

they also like bibs so they dont get dinner down their feathers  :D velco not tie fastening...very fussy girls

I've got all that in hand no fear! ;) :lol:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 23:55 »
Yes mine didn't lay for about 4-6 weeks after we got them but it was still VERY exciting and they lay beautifully now.

OK so we don't sing a Goodnight song but we do have long discussions with them about the plus points of going to bed versus the negative.  They regularly need to debate this theory before settlign in.  Although alot of the time they just get into bed on their own.  :lol: I think like all of us sometimes they just like a chat before going to bed.  :D

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:28 »
nice to know it can take a little longer, at least I won't feel strange if they don't lay in a couple of weeks. There is no pressure. :)

And also nice to know they like a natter sometimes. lol I have a new forest pony who was fresh off the forest when i bought him. Unhandled and scared poor love. He was only a baby so not long away from mum either. I sat in his stable reading to him and nattering away about his yard mates etc. :) All got him used to my voice :lol:.
I'm sure some people would think me mad, but it really helped start to build a bond and trust. :) on day 3 of this he was lying down when I got to the yard and he stayed lying down while we had our natter... a big show of trust! :D

Will be nice to get to know our chooks. :)
Erin (my 9 year old) has named one Scarlet - off a Welsh programme called Coal House that was on last year, obviously left a big mark! Though I won't tell OUR scarlet that the one on TV went to the table! :lol:

not 100% sure on the other ones name yet... it's being discussed between my hubby and I... anything from Korma or Cajun to Toyah or Betty boop! lol

mumof4

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:01 »
My lttle boy reads harry potter to them all the time and they sit right next to him and last time they were all cuddled up together. Once Joshua (8) fell asleep, went up to check if he was alright and he was layed down book still in his hand head on a bale of straw.

Porffor

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:16 »
Aww that's just so adorable! :) will get my daughter reading to them i think. :) she loves reading outloud :) she reads to our 3 year old alot. :) maybe they could both share a book with the chooks! :lol:

Jellyhead

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36 »
Aaah, cant wait to see the piccies :D  Another happy chook lover :wink:
By the way, clipping their wings is like cutting toe nails. You only trim the first 4/5 feathers (there is a topic on it somewhere on this site) and they don't feel a thing. you only do one wing :D I would say it works, and it does on most chooks unless your name is Shirley (from France) in which case we dont care about clipped wings and escape regularly anyway :roll:
Loved the story about the pony, have done a bit of horse whispering myself and there is nothig like gaining a horses trust, kindly and gently :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Porffor

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 12:11 »
Thanks Jelly :) will let him know.. I don't mind as have seen it done on a parrot and didn't hurt it, only stress was the holding of it as it wasn't tame.
Am really looking forward to collecting them.. am tempted to get them today...  :lol:
Gate is on the run now, and just the netting to be fitted.. in case! lol

Horses, they are so lovely aren't they! :) I worked on a very softly softly approach with Thunder, who is now 2 and such a babe :) He always comes over when he see's me, is living out 24/7 now and just stands and wants to lick me! lol my hands I should say, he's not allowed to lick faces, but loves licking hair too! lol never nipped and a very gentle lad. :) He'll make around 14.2 hopefully so will be mine and my daughters (she's 9 now so later when she's a teen he'll be her 2nd pony). :) Then for the youngest all in good time! lol Both the girls can sit on him for a couple of minutes bareback now. No more till he's older though. :)

Jellyhead

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 12:18 »
Will you back him or will you get him backed? worth finding someone who uses your softly softly approach tho - like a whisperer. A friend of mine here is running a course this weekend, Anna Twinney ( a friend of hers, who was trained by and worked top level for Monty Roberts)  is over from the states, she came last year and it was brilliant. They can back a horse in a couple of days, absolutely 100% stress free. Another friend of mine is having her 3 year old backed there and I am gutted I couldn't watch - I couldn't afford it this time. I haven't got horses here - at the moment :roll: maybe next year, I would like to rescue either small ponies or donkeys :wink:  :D

Porffor

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 16:41 »
:) Donkeys are easier than small ponies, as they are prone to laminitius as i'm sure you know already. We have a section A and are on perm watch for it.. he's prone to weight gain, but our daughters ride him, our eldest is having lessons on him now. :)
he's 4 now, but we backed him ourselves... my first ever.. gently done and he's been amazing! :) If Thunder follows his lead we'll be fine, but have a great riding instructor to call on and a friend who is trained on horses back probs and is so soft it's untrue they virtually snuggle up to her. :lol:
Have watched Monty in action and it was amazing, I have a few books by Kelly Marks and use hers to back and do groundwork with the boys. :)

now... back to chooks!!

Shimmer and Scarlet! :lol:
I know.. i said tomorrow but everything was ready! lol

Scarlet has more 'red' to her, Shimmer has a lovely green shimmer to her black feathers.. am praying that they are both girls, and you don't tell me that means she's a he! :lol: I guess we'll know around 5am! lol

As you can see one of my dogs is VERY interested.. the wire is pegged down with tent pegs. :) Netting over the top is pond type, not to keep out foxes etc but to stop chooks flying away and birds going in. Not sure if it'd hold out a hawk though.  :?

Erin and I sat in there for a bit, they were very friendly came up nice and close, but weren't confortable with more than a little tickle of feathers. :lol:
Erin has plans to read to them as suggested earlier! after i told her she's been planning loads of books about farm animals/yards. :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 16:44 »
P.S. are they 'french Bronze' if that exists... or red/brown Sussex?

Thanks for any help with their breed! :)

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
New chook owner!!

Started by poohbabyxx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 16:44
by Axe
xx
new chook owner

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 02:31
by Lindeggs
xx
new chook owner, some questions :)

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 20:50
by barbarella

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.