helloe from East Sussex

• 5 Replies

topsy

helloe from East Sussex
« on: March 08, 2009, 19:56 »
Hi All

I am a newbie to the site and more worringly (for me) a newbie to growing veg.  I am hoping to grow in containers, and the main salad items would be my goal. I guess i will put a post on the main forum and say HELP !!!  as i am slightly baffled as to how and when to sart and quite what i can grow !!   do I start from seed or buy already part grown plants...................or do i leg it to the farm shop as they have it sussed,  noooo... i am determined not to .............!!

Anyway off to the shops tomorrow to suss out what i may need.............i think they might see me coming and sell me far too much !!!!!   
if i plant it, will it grow ?

topsy

growing vegetables in containers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 20:03 »
Hi

Newbie here .....

I would like to be able to grow Salad - cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes plus onions and peppers in containers plus anthing else if you have ideas.!!  ........i have a conservatory to start things in, and a small indoor .outdoor plastic greenhouse with 4 shelves.

I just cant find the info on the web to tell me what can be in grown in pots, when to start and if they can be grown from seed or do i buy small plants.

Could anyone help ??  or recomend any good books ?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: helloe from East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 20:09 »
Welcome to the forum.

I would make a list of things you like to eat and post them on here.  There are lots of things you can grow in containers very successfully.  Seeds are much cheaper than ready grown and you can keep any unused ones for next year.
Cheese makes everything better.

sclarke624

Re: growing vegetables in containers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 20:57 »
I have started in my conservatory with some cling film over to act as propergator:
Lettuce
cucumber
Toms
radish
spring onion
peppers
self blanching celery
alpine strawberries
Herbs
parsley
dill
chervil
basil

Everyone of the above I grow in containers outside when the seeds are ready to go out, except for the herbs keep them on kitchen windowsill.  The cucumbers are easier in the high rise bed but I have done them in pots.

I find peppers can take bit longer than packet says to germinate so started them early and therefore decided to start all the other veg early as we usually get good weather here so they can go out sooner.  March is normal time for most.  April sowing for courgettes maybe. 

Carrots, beetroot and onion sets I will do outside when weather is ready or in situ as they say in my containers.

I hated my plastic greenhouse as even with weights kept falling over and I forgot to water things in it, or they got too hot or too tall so I took it apart.  I used the inners/shelves seperated up as pot/container stands above dog leg cocking height.

Pots of small veg plants are a lot dearer to buy than doing from seed.  If they fail to germinate you can if you want buy some plants.  But last resort I think.

Don't even have to buy pots use any container.  I have some 6" deep boxes I grow lettuce, radish, spring onion, beetroot (baby ones) in.  The self blanching celery went in sbout a 12" box.  Toms and peppers in 7 ltr Sankey pots from B&Q or the 7.5 or 10 ltr doesn't really matter.

This is a good site:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/vegetable-index.asp
This is a good book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Herb-Expert-D-G-Hessayon/dp/0903505460

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Growing-Month-month-earth/dp/0716021897/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236545470&sr=1-1

I liked this book but maybe not that informative for a newbie maybe I liked it more as I got it free:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden-Allotment-Readers-Digest/dp/0276442636/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236545884&sr=1-2

I didn't like this book didn't find it that useful:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Your-Own-Veg-Rhs/dp/1845332938/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236545470&sr=1-7

HTH :D

Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

iwantanallotment

Re: growing vegetables in containers
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 21:04 »
Hello topsy.
Last year I grew almost everything in containers, and will be doing plenty this year, too.
A lot of people lacking space do just that. I start mine from seed in g/house, and transplant to final big pot/container when big enough.
You can also grow beans, peas, petit pois, pak choi, cabbages, radishes, potatoes - almost anything, in fact. Potatoes grown in compost sacks are lovely!
Just bear in mind that you have to be vigilant with watering, as containers dry out faster than the ground.
Apart from that, just follow the instructions on the packets. And fleece if frost is expected.
Hope that helps.
Good luck  :)

topsy

Re: helloe from East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:54 »
wow !!!!   that is brilliant, thanks for the replies and i will be looking at those websites and books  - thanks sclarke264 !!!!!

i am off to tescos tomorrow as they seem to have some flower buckets going free and then to garden centre this weekend.   i know its all  trial and error for the 1st year but this site is so so helpful and it was a chance find !  very pelased.

Thanks all and i will keep u updated on my progress.......or lack of it !

thanks again !

xx
North East

Started by drythropple on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2006, 16:24
by startiger
xx
Hi from damp East Yorkshire

Started by Lin0101 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 23:46
by Yorkie
xx
East Anglian Potato Day

Started by mumsy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 08:11
by shaun
xx
Blight in east Northamptonshire PE8

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 15:08
by Salmo

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 37 queries.