chicken litter and green wheelie bins....

• 19 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
chicken litter and green wheelie bins....
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:46 »
does hay and chicken poop and sawdust/woodflakes count as garden waste you think???? rather than filling up my other bin, i was wondering if i would get away with putting it in the green wheelie bin...hay is old grass....sawdust/woodflakes were once branches, and the chicken poop...well...can we call that organic matter???? lol....

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: chicken litter and green wheelie bins....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:48 »
Around here they wouldn't like the poop but everything else is fine.
Cheese makes everything better.

wafflycat

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 13:43 »
In my neck of the woods, the green wheelie bin isn't. The green wheelie bin is black. The non-green wheelie bin is, however, green. And we can't put any sort of 'litter' even stuff minus the poo in the green bin that's not green but is black and as far as I can tell it's not supposed to go in the green bin that's not green.  :wacko:

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 14:55 »
I've just carted the "used" sawdust etc down to the allotment compost heap.  Once it's rotted down it'll be great for the garden.  They won't take it in our green recyling bins.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 16:36 »
bummer.... i have just taken all the grass off the top of my lottie, and so my compost is full...... it will just have to go in the normal bin... what a waste...lol   

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 22:42 »
I put mine in the green bin - no one has said anything yet??

Brings the question though...can it go into my compost bin?? (got one of those black plastic ones)

ReaderRabbit

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 23:36 »
In my neck of the woods, the green wheelie bin isn't. The green wheelie bin is black. The non-green wheelie bin is, however, green. And we can't put any sort of 'litter' even stuff minus the poo in the green bin that's not green but is black and as far as I can tell it's not supposed to go in the green bin that's not green.  :wacko:

We had a green bin that was for ordinary waste - not green stuff (garden waste).  We also had another bin that was for green garden waste - but that was brown not green.  We then had green boxes for recycling-which is green in terms of the planet but not for green garden waste.  :D

Anyway.... the green bin is now for recycling - so it is green in terms of the planet.  A new grey bin (but smaller) is for non green waste (ordinary rubbish) and the brown  bin is still for green garden waste.  However,the green boxes are now no longer used for recycling so loads are being dumped - which is not very green - are you still with me??? :D :D

But the point of this is that we have been told that pet waste (inc poop and bedding) must go in the grey bin,which is neither green in terms of garden waste, recycling for the benefit of the planet nor green in colour - confused??? You will be after the latest episode of local authority rules.   :D :D

RR

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 23:39 »
I used to use sawdust for my henhouse, thinking that wood is organic and therefore... but having put it in my compost bin and also on one of my beds, poop, feathers and all, it isn't rotting down at all and I heard from one of the plotholders and also on this forum that the sawdust will rob the heap / bed of nitrogen, so whilst it may add organic matter, it won't do you much good if you want to grown anything leafy in it.

I'll let you know how my taties get on under it  :blink:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 09:44 »
I used to use sawdust for my henhouse, thinking that wood is organic and therefore... but having put it in my compost bin and also on one of my beds, poop, feathers and all, it isn't rotting down at all and I heard from one of the plotholders and also on this forum that the sawdust will rob the heap / bed of nitrogen, so whilst it may add organic matter, it won't do you much good if you want to grown anything leafy in it.

I'll let you know how my taties get on under it  :blink:

I suppose the sawdust is just 'brown' waste for the compost? like...cardboard, to stop it being too wet?? So...in moderation should be ok? Does that sound right?

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34 »
*is gonna stick it in my black bin and fill that up some more!!....* I am gonna end up having to jump in my bin this week.....lol..... someone come and help me out of i get stuck!!! :tongue2:

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 19:21 »
I have been putting my chicken, rabbit and g.pig waste in our garden wheely bin since day one with no complaint.  It should not go in house waste bags or bin as it is poo and should not be handled by the bin men.  They refused to take my waste like that untill we had garden bins asnd said it was ok to put in.  My be different in other areas.???
mrs.ploppy

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 19:49 »
gawd...now what do i do with it...lol.... cant go in the green bin, or the black bin, or on the compost?????  burn it not good for environment... hmmmmmm  :blink:

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 19:57 »
just checked my councils website...(probably should have done that first but the replies have been interesting), and i cant stick it in the green bin. It recommends that we dispose of it at home (???) and if thats not poss then stick it in the black bin...  that answers that.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 20:21 »
Our council lets you put all animal bedding and waste in the garden bin but defo no dog/cat poo.  From herbivors only.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 21:04 »
our council are a bit retarted...."it is not currently possible" so perhaps they are working on it??? it all goes to a site and left to rot down to form compost....

xx
Chicken sea of green?

Started by coop-de-tat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 08:22
by nerdle
xx
Green Watery Chicken Poo

Started by Geraldine on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 13:31
by Snoop
xx
Worried about green chicken manure

Started by hensjs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 13:58
by hensjs
xx
Massive green egg! Ostrich or chicken?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 07:08
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 29 queries.