chickens and bees on allotments

• 25 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: chickens and bees on allotments
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 19:00 »
Beat me to it Stuart !!  :D

But a bargain find. If you want some ideas on how to make it fox-proof, shout up. There's bound to be something useful amongst all the fantastical suggestions  ::) :D

Rob 8)

spongebob

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 19:13 »
hi roughlee handled

i know its far from secure i just put them up to see what its going to look like
i be digging down around the sides to put mesh wire in the ground and going to chicken wire the roof stop birds getting out and fox getting in
i will be going to the allotment in morning to let them out and at night to shut them up
only live around the corner and i can cheak on them
my dad will be going through day as he lives closer to the alloment than me
i do keep chickens at home but i want to give them more room  ;)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 19:44 »
Our allotments which are council owned but leased to an allotment siciety will only allow pullets, hens and rabbits. No Cockerels because of the noise issue.

I think chickens on allotments are wonderful. let them roam on harvestd ground and they will pick up all the stray bugs, weed seeds and manure at the same time. There is of course the security problem and I think this will get worse as recession bites.

We did have one allotment holder put bees on a few years ago and he was told to take them off after a number of complaints. Difficult to understand the thinking behind this as without the bees none of his crops would be fertilised. I'd love to keep them again but i only have a balcony at home no and I don't think the neighbours would be too happy.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 20:25 »
i do keep chickens at home but i want to give them more room  ;)
You would be surprised at how many people do not have a clue.  I am only trying to help. I do not know what I would have done with out this place.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30 »
i am also in the process of starting to get chickens and bees, starting with chickens hopefully in a few weeks once i have finished the coop, its almost done. as for bees i am waiting till i have been to a few meetings with the local bee keepers assocation before getting a swarm, though these will have to be kept at home, or on a differnt allotment site as mine is considered unsuitable, which is annoying but hey ho, rules is rules.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 14:54 »
We have chickens,  bees and pigeons on our site no problem whatsoever. People only get stung if they panic and start flapping around which irritates the bees and then they sting in self defence.

Definately go for it the honey is fantastic
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

pete

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 16:00 »
Most allotments allow you to keep livestock the same as during the war years.

pete

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 16:05 »
Sorry last message decided to post itself.

Found this though for you on internet.

"The Allotment Act 1950 includes the allowance of certain forms of livestock (hens and rabbits) to be kept although this can be, in some cases, restricted by local by-laws.

A council may have local rules to specify that no livestock or hens are allowed. However, these local regulations must adhere to the Allotment Act(s) and those regulations that do not comply are not in force until confirmed by a local by-law.

Cockerels are not allowed by the Allotment Act. "

Might be worth googling the act and having a read of what you are allowed to keep. I once argued with the council that under War conditions i was allowed to keep pigs and a goat. I worked with a local magistrate who said that the council would be Rogered trying to stop me. Unfortunately some looney cut his wife up and burnt her on the plot five up from mine and so i never got to test the council!!

pete

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 16:16 »
Spongebob,

Following is taken from Wocester council webiste

http://www.worcester.gov.uk/index.php?id=1204  - read the following carefully

"8. NO poultry pig or other livestock shall be kept on any allotment garden and no building or structure shall be erected placed or maintained thereon without the previous written permission of the Council "

Poultry, PIG or other livestock - means you can if you ask in writting. Check what your council says and then the rest of the site wont have a leg to stand on!!

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 21:43 »
hi all

thanks for your comments
i thought about it and im going for it
im going to put chickens on the plot first and bees will be later
after i done some more research and been to a couple more beekeeping meetings

i called at a tool hire shop today when i finished work to see if they had any old metal fencing panels they did six and charged me  :blink: 10quid for all of them  :D bargin  :D
they need some fixing but they will do :tongue2: it is 6mlong 3m wide but im going to try another hire shop see if i can get two more so the run would be 6mx6m loads of room for the chickens
dropped them of at the allotment and put them up temp for now

I'm about to  use Heras fencing for my new run too Bob. We do have an urban fox living somewhere on or near our allotments. I'm going to underwire the whole area with chicken wire and wire this to the bottom bars of the Heras, then I'll put wood chip in on top of that.

I intend netting the top of the run but I doubt a fox can scale the security fencing as there is literally nothing to grip on to.

Allan

poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 21:52 »
Hi Allan.

A member did have a fox attack over that same type of fencing last year. I'd take the extra precautions where you can. :)

Rob 8)

xx
chickens and bees stings

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 22:31
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Are chickens smart enough to avoid bees and wasps

Started by SamT on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 15:35
by 8doubles
xx
Chickens on allotments

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 20:11
by karlooben
xx
Chickens and allotments

Started by wendyg on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:03
by wendyg

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 31 queries.