chickens / hens

• 20 Replies

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
chickens / hens
« on: February 25, 2009, 00:47 »
Im really sorry for sounding dum  :wub:

But i dont really understand about hens or chickens . Which lay the best eggs and whats best to have chickens or hens or whats the diffrence between them  . Just want to know alot more about them b4 i think about having any has i really do not have a clue .

thanks

Trillium

Re: chickens / hens
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:47 »
Hopefully this is a serious question. Chicken is a basic terminology for the creature. Hens are the females which lay the eggs, roosters, aka cocks, are the males. Pullets are young females just starting to lay, cockerels are young males.

millymolymandy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:18 »
Hi there Gaz,you will find lots of books about chickens if you would like to do a bit of research,I am a fan of Katie Thear she has a selection of books with easy to understand  information. As for eggs, it depends what you are looking for if you just want lots of eggs, a hybrid is the way to go, they lay 300+ eggs a year, there are lots on the market they are specifically bred for egg laying, some e.gs are Black rock, bluebell, warren, white star, lots more to add to the list, but if you google it you will find info on the web sites. If you want different egg colours or some pretty hens and don't need reams of eggs you can go down the traditional route they still lay quite a lot of eggs but not as many as the hybrids, Marans or Welsummers for eg lay about 240 chocolate brown eggs a year, cream legbars are a cross bred designed to lay about 180 pale blue eggs a year . You see there is so much to choose from & to learn about. The one thing I can tell you with certainty is once you start to keep chickens they are addictive, I am constantly having to exercise control when it comes to knowing when to stop buying eggs to hatch out ::)
would have been enough for a crumble!

Fran

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27 »
Thanks .no i was not joking its a serious question . thanks i will get hold of one of her books and have a read . you really know your stuff milly  :D great info

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:31 »
what does it cost for keeping them on a average ie food and vet bills for so many im not looking at loads probly around 3-5 hens , and what price are the hybrid's going for are they all diffrent prices ,

thanks

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37 »
one other thing i dont understand is about them Hatching. which ones would  hatch?? or have i ran b4 i can walk .. probly best to get one of them books  :blink:

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49 »
Hello Gaz and Grace,
You won't go far wrong if you check out the articles at the top of Page 1 on this forum.  For example, "Chicken v egg" will tell you about hens and their corresponding eggs 'n' numbers expected on average.
Foxy, Babe, Aunt Sally and Grannie Annie really know their stuff.
By the way, once you start up with chickens, you'll become hooked, so don't expect housework (I've forgotten what that is!) and meals to get done as before, ha ha.
Good luck.
cathangirl

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:55 »
Forgot to add...........
Down this way, Organic layers pellets cost £12.50 for a huge bag, organic mixed corn about the same, though you can get ordinary for arond £6 or £7. 
Mixed grit and oyster shell in a smallish bag costs £1.49 (for digestion and calcium).
Hybrids cost £12, but pure breeds can be from £15 to as much as much as £35 or more.
cathangirl

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:59 »
oops, I forgot something else...........
Unless you have a rooster, who prefers about 10 - 12 hens, you have no need to worry about eggs hatching.
Your best move is to buy point of lay (pol) pullets at 16 -18 weeks of age, then once they are happily settled in, you should have eggs within weeks.  With the brighter days, they should lay well.
Pullets become hens at 1 year old.
cathangirl

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:35 »
hello Gaz.Grace

You will find lots of useful reading here in the poultry information pages,dont be afraid to ask loads of questions though :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=13.0

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 19:06 »
where is the best place to get them from ie hens /pol . is there  anywhere close to me in nottinghamsire (worksop). thanks 4 all your info so far its been great  ;)

Vember

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 19:09 »
Hi GG

There is a list of suppliers here
http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/index.php

If there's nothing there pop back here :D

Sarah :)

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 21:30 »
hi .. i found some where in sheffield thats close for me http://www.storrspoultry.co.uk/index.php . what do you think??.

how much space do they need and do they need to be out in a run on grass every now and again im thinking to keep them at home for a bit till i get my allotment sorted for them . but my garden is not very big and not  any grass at all but i have a outhouse they can have to themselves that i will make nice for them  and can go out in the garden when they want to ,its not big but should be ok for 2 of them i thought ?? or am i wrong .
 :wacko:

Vember

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 21:47 »
Ideally they should be out on the grass all day, although some people have bark down in their runs and then hang things like cabbage etc... in the run to give them the green stuff they need  :)

Is your garden secure? Weld-mesh netting is best, chicken wire is a no no as it wont keep a fox out :(

Might be an idea if you can to get three and then if anything happens to one of them you aren't left with a lonely sad chicken :)

Sarah :D

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 22:08 »
so its possible for the time being then . i have a very highwall i cant see them getting over it into the garden . ive just read some where that 3 is best to have you learn new things everyday  :D

xx
help - i want to keep chickens/hens

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 19:04
by blulagoo
xx
Chickens or Hens

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:14
by richyrich7
xx
WTD; chickens /hens near selby york

Started by pauldc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 18:00
by Davenports
xx
Friendly chickens? Looking for happy hens to live with my ex-batts

Started by Carla on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 09:21
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 31 queries.