Another poorly ex batt

• 12 Replies

Julie in Somerset

Another poorly ex batt
« on: February 19, 2009, 19:43 »
 :( I adopted 4 ex batts Sept 08, one died a month ago, don't know why but she was the one in worst condition, now another one is ill. Has a really tight swollen abdomen. I thought she was broody as she was spending mornings inside for about 10 days now and only coming out to eat etc in the afternoon. However she's not laying and I have taken her to a vet who has given her calcium and a laying stimulant. I'm not very hopeful although she is eating but not drinking. She's had a warm bath and she's in isolation in the garage.
This is my first go at hens and it's not going well, are the survival rates and length of life after release usually as low as this? The place I got them from mentioned an artifical moult. They lay huge eggs, could this be a result of the moult? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Another poorly ex batt
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 19:53 »
Sorry to hear about your chooks Julie.  Those poor ex battery girls have such a horrid life, that sometimes the stress just gets them in the end.  Some last days, some can last another few years.  I heard of a lady last year who'd rescued some ex batts and they were still going strong at 5-6 years old!  But others are just too stressed out and give up quite soon.  Whatever happens to your girls, just remember, that you made their last days, weeks months whatever happy ones!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 19:30 »
So sorry to hear about your hens too.  I've had many ex-bats and some do go on for years and some die well before thier time but that I'm affraid is life.  Very cruel at times!  They wouldn't have known any feedom at all if you had not took them on so you do the best you can do for them.  Otherwise they have a sad and hard life so try not to be too down about her.  Their last days are at least happy ones.  Good luck with the others though.  She may just be finding life all too much after such a hard start.
mrs.ploppy

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi Julie, I am so sorry to hear about your ex-bat. Is there definately an egg in there? Sounds a bit like egg peritonitis (laying internally) Is she having trouble breathing at all?
A big welcome to the forum BTW

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 21:02 »
Thanks for your replies. Amy is still alive but I'm not convinced she's egg bound and I don't think the vet had a clue. I've examined her more closely and she is very hard and hot between her legs going forward. She poo'ed normally during the night and I can still get her to eat - cat food and sweetcorn with added poultry spice. I've repeated the warm bath and she's in the garage again for the night.

Any advice would be welcome but I'm feeling very optomistic, Thanks again for your support :(

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 21:29 »
I meant so say I'm not feeling very optomistic. I was hoping they would live a bit longer than this but really don't know what to do. I've always had a lot to do with horses and cats and they are a lot easier to diagnose and treat:(

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 22:46 »
It sounds very much like an egg problem. Either bound or peritonitis. If she pooed normally it implies that the digestive system is fine. I would have thought a serious infection would affect her poo so maybe that's a good sign.
It could be a tumour but I don't know how that would present itself.

You've given her a good amount of freedom.

Rob

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 00:16 »
It sounds very much like an egg problem. Either bound or peritonitis. If she pooed normally it implies that the digestive system is fine. I would have thought a serious infection would affect her poo so maybe that's a good sign.
It could be a tumour but I don't know how that would present itself.

You've given her a good amount of freedom.

Rob

tumours would present very much like egg peritonitis, you can only tell by looking inside im afraid.
I am so sorry Julie sounds like you are having a miserable time. :(

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 00:28 »
Another thought I dont know where in Somerset you are -but there is a fabulous vet at the Rowe Veterinary Hospital,Bradley Stoke, Bristol. There is someone working there at the mo who knows everything about chickens.
pm me if you want details and any info, the vet is also an expert in ex-bat hens.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 05:51 »
If it is EYP and tou don't mind spending the cash, surgery can be done. Here is a link that shows the operation and a complete description of how it was done by the vet. Since they take the overies out the hen will never lay again but she will live.

VERY GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF A SURGICAL PROCEDURE If you are squeemish don't look at them please.

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=diseasecasestudies&action=display&num=1169201098

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35 »
Thanks Foxy but won't go down the operation route.

Have spoken to Aunt Sally about my feeding regime and I think I've given too many bad scraps, ie bread, cooked veg etc. I am going to have another go. Should I only give them mash/pellets and fresh greens. Are cooked veg OK? and in what quantity? Is bread ok again how much. I am feeling bad as I may have killed them with kindness and don't want to do it again.

However saying all this the hens I've got lay really huge eggs so that may cause some problems. The one that is ill now laid a very rough and ridged egg. Another friend who has ex batts says their eggs are medium - mine won't go in a standard egg box?

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35 »
Hi Julie,
The large eggs are not the result of the moult.  On the contrary, hens normally ease up laying during the moult.
Hens start off by laying smallish eggs and then larger ones when they mature.  Size of the egg also has a lot to do their genetic breeding.

Good luck.  cathangirl

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 20:41 »
Some ex-bats do not come from very good breeding stock whick can lead to some bad genetic faults later in their lives.  This is why thier lives are cut short as the productivity goes down in factory conditions, they don't pay their way as it were.  All my ex-batts have layed big eggs and I've had some weird and wonderfull shapes too.  One of mine once layed after not laying after 4 days.  Went very peeky, then poped out the largest egg I have ever seen.  Size of an easter egg!  I thought it was a joke at first.  When broke open there was a lot of egg white, a small yolk and low and behold a perfectly shelled egg inside.  This egg when broke open was totally normal.  The most amazing thing I have ever seen. :ohmy:  After this the hen returned to normal laying for the rest of her life.  I had her for about another 2 yrs.  Yours may just have a blip where for some reason the shell is not being layed down properly.  Many facters can make this happen so good luck now she has popped one out!!

sad
Poorly ex-batt

Started by tammyc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 12:22
by TJ63
xx
Poorly ex batt

Started by Spadefighter on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 21:54
by karlooben
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 29 queries.