Excess crop?

• 28 Replies

Ali McDonald

Excess crop?
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:12 »
Hi,
I was wanting to find out what do people do when they have a bumper crop and end up with too much for themselves, does it go to waste?

I have an online survey. If you wouldn’t mind taking it I would very much appreciate it. The link;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=cF2e6vb1sIaX12vlHxbHWQ_3d_3d

You can of course respond the more traditional way below, or if you just want to add extra comments. Its all welcomed and valued.

Thanks very much
Ali

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 17:53 by Aunt Sally »

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Re: Excess crop?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:21 »
I try to freeze what i can (which is most veg). I got hold of a book called "Will It Freeze" and it a good guide to freezing most veg. When i first got my plot i went a bit mad with seeds and ended up with a glut which was given away. As you go on you find that you grow what you need, and can freeze, that way there is more space for more varieties that you like. Its still too tempting when the seed catalogue arrives in the post, and i end up ordering more than i can cope with, but that's life, eyes bigger than my belly :wub:
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:27 »
Did survey but like steve i freeze a lot of stuff, beans, peas root veg pumpkinsetc.
Aim is to have enough in there to last for the winter. I hate it when i have to buy veg >:(

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:35 »
same here, freeze some, give some away but very little goes to waste.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:49 »
i think most ppl freeze extra stuff but as we all know your faced with a vast expanse of soil in the winter, but when u get planting its surprising how fast u fill it.
after a bit of experience u know how much of each crop u will use and grow the amounts accordingly as space is limited especailly if u only have half a plot which is wot alot of allotment providers are doing now.a full plot is 10 rods i think not sure on the feet measurement.
there are other ways of storing to such as keeping in a cool place eg.garlic onions.
crops like carrots can be clamped which means to store in a container filled with compost or peat or sand etc.
also, pickling and preserving is another standard practice.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:51 by Rampant_Weasel »

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 14:35 »
It hasn't happened yet but I live in hopes for this year :D The general idea is to make big batches of (unseasoned) soup and freeze that, but I am not very organised so extra veg will more likely be given away fresh.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Oscar Too

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 17:15 »
Why are you asking?  No-one goes to the bother of setting up a survey monkey out of idle curiousity. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 17:22 »
As site Administrator I'd like to know that too  ???

I have removed your link for now and will replace it after you contact me to let me know why you you want the information.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 17:52 »
I have received a very quick reply from Ali and will now restore the link.

This was Ali's reply:

Hi,

I am a final year student studying BA (Hons) Graphic Design at the Arts Institute at Bournemouth. I am undertaking my final major project with the subject of sustainability and growing your own food.

I have posted previously (http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=30594.0) asking for people problems that I may use as a focus of my study.

Through other avenues of research I have established that some growers have trouble getting rid of surplus crop due to lack of family nearby.

The survey is to establish if this is a common problem.

Hope this explains the reason for my survey.

Ali

I'm sure that Ali will give us the results of the survey for our information in return for our help :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 17:54 by Aunt Sally »

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 20:21 »
I hate waste! :mad:
But... I have lots of family/friends close by, so most surplus stuff I give away to them.....
However, there was one particular crop that I couldn't give away..... and begins with C........???? nastly stuff, that then grows into P......??
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 23:52 »
Ali I think you should go back to your tutor and discuss best practice in data collection.

It isnt particularly ethical to jump in here and ask a random question which leads people to a survey which includes a number of questions unrelated to the original post. For example, why is my gender relevant to the question ' What do I do when I have a bumper crop'.

I work in Higher Education and I see an amazing number of poorly thought out research projects. Go and talk to the right people, this is not the way.

Sorry folks, hobby horse, will climb down now.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13 »
How true Paddy.

Both my husband and my daughter-in-law work in higher education and both despair at the low quality of students nowadays.  More than that though, they despair that the powers that be in the universities expect staff to lower their expected quality of work produced in order to keep pass rates high.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear and if the government wants more young people to go to university, by definition, standards WILL fall  :(

Mrs sawnee

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 19:26 »
Hi,
I was wanting to find out what do people do when they have a bumper crop and end up with too much for themselves, does it go to waste?

I have an online survey. If you wouldn’t mind taking it I would very much appreciate it. The link;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=cF2e6vb1sIaX12vlHxbHWQ_3d_3d

You can of course respond the more traditional way below, or if you just want to add extra comments. Its all welcomed and valued.

Thanks very much
Ali

We won't waste a thing if we can help it.  I always grow TOO many tomatoes on purpose so that I can make Mr Sawnee chutneys,lasagne sauces, homemade soups etc. which also double up as great and personal Christmas pressies :)  One year I overloaded on courgettes which Mr Sawnee HATES - but I got him to eat them by turning them in to Chocolate Courgette Cakes which are delicious served warm with cream :ohmy:  Everything else gets frozen or given to family and friends.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 21:24 »
There needs to be a "preserve" option: there are very few things that you get such a glut of that you can't either eat fresh or put up!  Of course, feeding family and friends doesn't count as dealing with a surplus, for me.

pushrod

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 23:31 »
How true Paddy.

You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear and if the government wants more young people to go to university, by definition, standards WILL fall  :(

Now there's a can of worms - let's keep this on growing or i'll call a mod  ;)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
Excess plants

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 15:17
by whitehill1
xx
excess rain and cultivation

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 10:50
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Excess of huge parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 20:21
by jambop
xx
Can you sell excess seeds

Started by thumper on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:46
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 1.07 seconds with 30 queries.