Excess plants

• 4 Replies

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
Excess plants
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:01 »
The propagators are unpacked and ready started. sowing seeds with a precision of seed count. still therewould be excess plants.  so do you dedicate a patch for all of them. I know it is very hard to through them are finding a way to rehome.

my plan is have them in the green house as much time , and sort a patch dug or undug and plant them in.

I water then while planting and don't bother at all later ..

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: Excess plants
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:38 »
Once you have potted the seedlings on, or once they have 2 true leaves, you can tell whether or not you have "way too many" or just "too many"!  Always a good idea to keep a few extra to put into rows or blocks where slugs destroy the seedlings overnight ( or late frosts kill things off ). 

If once established you've still got far too many to keep going on the off chance you might need them, then give them away,  a great way to make new friends on the allotment site and you often get given an interesting few plants back to try out or perhaps some of their harvest later on in the year. 

It has taken many of us many years to work out how many seeds we need to sow, and then how many seedlings/plants we can fit into the prepared bed.  Some of us are still struggling!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09 »
I always sow more seeds for the number of plants I want because some don't germinate, some may succumb to whatever, some some up a bit spindly etc, so I just choose the strongest ones.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 13:56 »
I do find it difficult to consign weak and spindly "extras" to the compost bin, but the thought that they are returning to the soil makes it a bit easier.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 15:17 »
It has taken many of us many years to work out how many seeds we need to sow, and then how many seedlings/plants we can fit into the prepared bed.  Some of us are still struggling!

Oh, I feel better now  :nowink: .. hope to have less plants and care better this year.

I always sow more seeds for the number of plants I want because some don't germinate, some may succumb to whatever, some some up a bit spindly etc, so I just choose the strongest ones.

Yup this year plan is to prick only the needed count. though i do not throw the rest. but leave them as it is justin case.

I do find it difficult to consign weak and spindly "extras" to the compost bin, but the thought that they are returning to the soil makes it a bit easier.

I just prick out the strongest though I sow less numbers. if no germination..fine as there is one more type planned.

thumbup
Excess crop?

Started by Ali McDonald on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 18:23
by nellie.b
xx
Excess of huge parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 20:21
by jambop
xx
excess rain and cultivation

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 10:50
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Can you sell excess seeds

Started by thumper on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:46
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.