Flowering strawberries

• 3 Replies

jb

• Experienced Member
Flowering strawberries
« on: February 13, 2009, 21:30 »
Bought some strawberry plants in a bag from Wilkc on Mon (Ostara a perpetual variety)
Potted them in 3" pots on Tues and put them on the windowsills as a bit cold to put them straight out (as been in a warm shop for unknown period).
Have flowers developing on 2 of them today  :blink:

As the plants are still small (max 2-3 small leaves on) i assume that they won't be able to produce decent fruits so I will cut them off. But can anyone suggest why this will have happened and how i can prevent it  from occurring again until the plants are bigger and outside.
Many thanks
Jon

garddwr

Re: Flowering strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 21:50 »
Take a look at this thread which someone was in a similar sitiuation. I don't know if it will help you or not:

Linky;

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=30222.0

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 22:29 »
thanks for the link, managed to miss it in my search before posting.
My situation is a tiny bit different as I don't think theere has been any leaf/shoot growth since potting-just flowers.
Might be a side effect of the plants' treatment. Mine were from a warm shop (and could have been there for some time) and in very dry powdery compost. This coupled with being grown indoors (high temp?) could be the source of their behaviour as their conditions in the shop would have stressed them which usually leads to a race to flower. I might try moving them to the bathroom that is cooler than the living room they are in currently.
Jon

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 00:53 »
thanks for the link, managed to miss it in my search before posting.
My situation is a tiny bit different as I don't think theere has been any leaf/shoot growth since potting-just flowers.
Might be a side effect of the plants' treatment. Mine were from a warm shop (and could have been there for some time) and in very dry powdery compost. This coupled with being grown indoors (high temp?) could be the source of their behaviour as their conditions in the shop would have stressed them which usually leads to a race to flower. I might try moving them to the bathroom that is cooler than the living room they are in currently.
Jon
I think you just answered your own question. ;)  :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Strawberries flowering

Started by hightide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 05:36
by Fisherman
xx
Strawberries Flowering! Whats going on?

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 21:49
by solway cropper
xx
late flowering strawberries

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 08:46
by green fingers
xx
PSB flowering

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 18:28
by purplebean

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 31 queries.