Green Potatoes

• 12 Replies

lacewing

Green Potatoes
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:18 »
Hi,  Some of my seed potatoes that are in trays chitting are turning green, is this a problem and should I dump the green ones or just leave them as they are??. Any advice please.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Green Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:49 »
They're turning green because they're getting light.

You need to put them where it is dark all the time and light can't get to them.

as to the ones that are already green, I'm not sure - in theory they should be okay because you're not eating them; but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to confirm or contradict that!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:57 »
Err  ??? 
You need to put them where it is dark all the time and light can't get to them.

I thought you chitted them in the light, that's where mine are............i'm really confused now.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:06 »
just to add to this confusion someof mine are going slightly soft  :unsure:
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:24 »
I wouldn't worry about going green or soft, as long as the 'soft' is the drying out kind of soft not mushy soft. (And they're not looking like they're dead from dehydration! :D )
Chitting in the light will produce shorter chits. I have seen some seriously straggly chits on potatoes kept really dark so I think there's a happy medium to be had.  :happy:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 13:23 »
Thanks for the reply Woodburner, I always chit mine in light, they look healthy and firm, just that a few are a bit green, I will leave them as they are then.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 13:49 »
 :D
I'm not an expert, though!
I chit mine in the dark because I always put them in a bag in the garage and forget about them!
nothing deliberate. 
But it seems to work - the chits are usually about 1/2 an inch when I put them in the ground and nice and fat.

I think I heard someone say that they put them on the windowsill for a day or so before they go in the ground.

Oh, now I've confused myself!
:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Bombers

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 14:29 »
:D

Oh, now I've confused myself!
:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

You need to 'Chit' in a cool (frost Free) dry place, in the light (but not direct Sunlight) this will encourage strong but short shoots,( so they don't break off easily when planting) to get them set off to a good start. I'm lucky because we have a north facing conservatory and I just stick 'em on the floor in there! ;) 8)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 14:47 »
Potatoes chitted in the light, as they should be, will always turn green. They are perfectly OK.

You should start chitting about 6 weeks before you intend to plant. If the potatoes show no signs of sprouting bring them into a warm and light place for about a week to wake them up and break their dormancy. Once you can see chits growing move them to a cool and light place until planting time. The light will stop them from growing long chits.

If they start to get a bit soft and wrinkled some people spray them with water or dilute foliar feed. Personally I do not bother. They only usually get wrinkled if they are in dry central heated houses. Move them somewhere cooler.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 18:32 »
a top potato grower from wales told me to wait until they went green so the slugs didn't go near them when you planted them
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

newby

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 21:29 »
Mine are in garage on a bench [light] and in the house.

when they chit, the have more than one shoot. I recall from when i was very young, my stepdad use to cut the seed potatoes in half to plant more out...he then trimmed any other shoots off so only 1 shoot per section being planted.  Is this the correct thing to do ??? :unsure:

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 23:21 »
you can cut up your potato as much as you like as long as each piece has an "eye". They will grow away from this quite easily, you could even grow potatoes from peelings (quite common in WW2)

However, the crop is smaller as a result. So planting a full seed potato is the name of the game these days

Death OR Cake ???

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:41 »
Quote from: newby
...he then trimmed any other shoots off so only 1 shoot per section being planted.  Is this the correct thing to do ??? :unsure:

Because he cut up the potato, his yield per 'seed' was less and could not support a lot of top growth, so he was correct in what he did. But if you plant a whole spud intact, there's no reason to trim the top shoots. In fact, you'd get more spuds by not trimming it on an uncut spud.

xx
Green potatoes

Started by veggieman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 23:07
by veggieman
xx
Green potatoes

Started by lizzie1982 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 21:45
by lizzie1982
xx
Green Potatoes

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 17:05
by operabunny
xx
Green potatoes too long or too little

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2014, 20:26
by Annen

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 38 queries.