Bonfire

• 3 Replies

Haz

Bonfire
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:00 »
Hi all,

I am still digging my 7 x 22 m Allotment.  However, right in the middle there is a big circle about 4 m diameter where there was a bonfire.  Obviously full of burnt plastic, metal etc.  Should clear all the debris and dig it over and use it?  Any suggestion or advice?

Thanks

Hazem

woodburner

Re: Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:48 »
Scrape away the ash, and have a look at the soil underneath. If it's really baked looking, I'd be inclined to scrape it off and distribute in over a wider area as it will have little or no organic matter left, but will probably have lots of minerals from the ash. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be along soon to say whether this is a good or bad idea. ;) 
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 13:24 »
Rake it over, then run a magnet over it to pick up as much stray metal as you can,and to check for glass etc. Im of the same mind as woodburner...if its really burnt then take off a couple of inches and put onto your other beds or compost heap.   Fork it over and it will be fine for growing on.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

MARROW HEAD

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 19:55 »
If you remove the metal first, the ash can be dug into the siol. Ash and soot is fine as long as it is welly distributed out.

xx
Bonfire...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 22:16
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
Bonfire ash

Started by sonic on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 00:03
by Squibbs
xx
Bonfire on veg bed

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 18:39
by Growster...
xx
bonfire ash

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 12:06
by WG.

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 31 queries.