Chicken pinching Feathers

• 3 Replies

Knight Family

Chicken pinching Feathers
« on: January 31, 2009, 23:29 »
One of my girls (only got 12) has started pinching feathers of 1 of the other girls any reason you can think of it?

I have just put in 4 ex batts with the (5 Pols and 3 exbats) but never a problem before then.

I tried purple spray on the feathers but she still eats them in fact even more so.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Vember

Re: Chicken pinching Feathers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11 »
Could be that is after the extra protein ???

Try them with a bit of cat food (fish flavor) .
You don't want them getting into any bad habits :)

Also found this link that may be useful :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=28967

Sarah :D

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 20:31 »
just reading "keeping poultry and rabbits on scraps" (a penguin facsmile of a wartime book) that says
"Over crowding, overheating and/or food deficiency in quality, not quantity.  Provide space, ventilaion and,especially, meat or fish waste and green food in mash. Apply iodine or stockholm tar to affected parts."

I like this book.
 :)

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 18:40 »
just reading "keeping poultry and rabbits on scraps" (a penguin facsmile of a wartime book) that says
"Over crowding, overheating and/or food deficiency in quality, not quantity.  Provide space, ventilaion and,especially, meat or fish waste and green food in mash. Apply iodine or stockholm tar to affected parts."

I like this book.
 :)

Gasp! You're not going to feed omnivores MEAT are you? Shock horror!  :ohmy:  ;) :nowink:

Seriously though, if the hen is eating feathers, rather than just pulling them out in the course of establishing the pecking order, it is a sign of needing more protein. Not that I really care what DEFRA says  :ohmy: ;) :blush: I wouldn't feed petfood to my chooks, you just don't know what's in it! I'm lucky that my wormery is doing well, so they'd get some of the residents if I had that problem. (Come next summer, I will hopefully have enough to feed them some regularly.)

andreadon have you seen Journey to Forever's website? This has got to be my favourite ebook Tons of common sense and 'forgotten' ways of doing things. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Feathers in the chicken run

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 12:24
by Jeanette
xx
She's Chicken has got wierd feathers

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 18:29
by CluckyChicken
xx
Sad chicken with tail feathers down

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 19:22
by chickadee11
xx
Chicken losing feathers on her breast

Started by Cal. on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2021, 19:11
by New shoot

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 37 queries.