Calcified Seaweed

• 14 Replies

Silvana

Calcified Seaweed
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:28 »
After years of just thinking about getting an allotment, I finally took the plunge and got one last week. It is far from ideal as it has no shed on the plot and it looks like I will have to spend ages clearing the weeds and couch grass.

I decided to take on the general advice that has been posted here on this forum and take things slowly. I have started one area and the soil is so heavy. Clay I expect.

So there I was on Sunday morning in the trading shed of the allotment, sheltering from the rain and the words “calcified seaweed” caught my eye. I remembered somewhere that this is supposed to be good for clay soil.

The lady at the cash desk had no idea how to use it. Can any one tell me how to use the stuff? Do I have to mix it with horticultural grit and then dig in to the soil?

Any other advice will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Silvana

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:41 »
This site will tell you all about it .

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/KFseaweed.htm#Howtoapply

Welcome to the plot Silvana  :D

Silvana

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54 »
Many thanks for that link Aunt Sally.

Silvana

noshed

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 15:02 »
Is this better than epsom salts?
And question B: Why have my peas gone yellow?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 15:04 »
a. don't know
b. 'cause they are sick?
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

noshed

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 15:07 »
That's what I thought - but the adjacent weeds (Oh what a giveaway) look OK

Trillium

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 15:16 »
Sounds like calcified seaweed is a bit more of a soil sweetener, Silvana, as the link Aunt Sally gave shows it as a pH balancer. No doubt there are a lot of trace elements that are great for the soil so I'd use it along with some epsom salts. The latter is more for encouraging root growth and greener top growth rather than any sort of pH altering as epsom salts aren't really any sort of a salt, just looks like salt. Never hurts to cover all bases if you have stuff available. I use the epsoms reguarly and have just bought powdered kelp to use as a foliar feed and transplant encourager.  :D

Silvana

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 16:55 »
I want to plant potatoes in this area, so what else should I be doing? Sorry for sounding so thick, but I have never grown vegetables before!

Silvana

WG.

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 17:06 »
Quote from: "Silvana"
I want to plant potatoes in this area, so what else should I be doing? Sorry for sounding so thick, but I have never grown vegetables before!

Silvana

As much rotted manure as you can get your hands on.  Also sand and gypsum will help to break up the clay but DO NOT put on lime before potatoes.

Trillium

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 18:23 »
Don't worry about sounding thick, Silvana. The only dumb question is the one not asked, for which you need an answer  :wink:  It's all easy when you know how, which is why established gardeners need to pass on info to newbies so we can all enjoy. If you get some time, go back on some of the forums and onto topics that interest you and see what's been said so far. You might even find questions you intend to ask already answered.   :D

Silvana

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 19:59 »
Thanks for all the advice. Is rotted manure the same as the bagged "Manure-Chopped and composted" that I can get from the local garden centre?

See...I told you I need help!

muntjac

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 20:24 »
yes it is . but it costs 4 times more than a bag of farm muck cos somebody put it in a bag ..... get a hold of the allotment secretary and ask if they have a fone number for manure suppliers . £15 a tonne  depending on where you are .some money grabbers charge £30 + im told ........... :x
still alive /............

Silvana

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 20:46 »
Blimey! Wot just £15 per tonne?? Thanks Muntjac. Shall get on to the site manager.

noshed

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 22:41 »
We get ours from the stables in Lea Bridge Road but there's loads of stables out in Essex where you can get deliveries from.

Trillium

Calcified Seaweed
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 21:46 »
Was just watching a Geoff Hamilton video and he used calcified seaweed as a surface dusting, about 2-3" wide all around a lettuce area to deter slugs. Don't know if it really works, but I'm sure it does something if Geoff used it.  :wink:

xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Calcified seaweed

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 21:53
by JimB
xx
Calcified Seaweed

Started by Hose A on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 19:55
by allotment south wales
xx
calcified seaweed

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 17:50
by seedman

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 37 queries.