Run interest..

• 9 Replies

LoupyLou

Run interest..
« on: January 26, 2009, 14:07 »
Just wanted some info on what is ok to put in the run to add interest for my girls.....are branches from any trees safe or do they have to be a certain type?

Hope someone can help me out here :)

Roughlee Handled

Run interest..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 15:13 »
CD's hung up.  Mine like a the odd small piece of the compost heap to go over.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

Run interest..
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 15:27 »
I have a couple of logs (any type of wood) in my area stuff them with mealworms occasionally.
Also moving them every so often really keeps them occupied for the day.

CD's as Roughlee has suggested

Also throwing in a few corn on the cobs will give them something to do, although only once / twice a week or they'll get fat :lol:

Hang cabbage leaves, chop up some apples throw them in :)

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

Run interest..
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 16:35 »
I've got a few logs on end with 2-3" diameter branches between them. They like the 2 tier effect and sit on them to preen.

Also got an old mirror stood in a corner. They like to peck at it as they pass. Also the run enlcoses a cut down bush that they climb on and stand on to look over next door's fence.

Plus all the other things already mentioned. We did think of a straw bale under the covered part but I don;t know if it'll go a bit smelly and may attract mice.
And i chuck in piles of leaves similar to Roughlee's compost in the autumn.

ROb 8)

karlooben

Run interest..
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 16:56 »
if u wanna add food to help with boredom then i suggest hanging up a cabbage with root still attached and also marrows, deal a hole the thin end an hang with string the girls will love it  beleive me  :D  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

LoupyLou

Run interest..
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 18:25 »
Thx for the replys guys, i'm glad to hear that i'm doing the right things foodwise (cabbage, marrow, corn cobs hung up  etc) :)

Very interested to hear i can put logs and branches in for them to climb on and it makes life easier that it can be any type, i'll sort that out tomoz!

:D

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
Re: Run interest..
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 15:40 »
Sorry for jumping in on your thread Loupylou, but I was just wondering about the logs.

I think part of our pecking problem that we are currently having is partly due to bordem so have started to hang flourets of broccoli around for them, they also now have a mirror.

The OH has picked up a couple of logs on his travels too - before we put them in, do i need to treat them with anything like a spray or mite powder incase there are any nasties on them that could affect the hens?

Thanks!  :D

Jenny

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 15:52 »
Hi Tinkers.

My instinctive answer would be that any logs are only likely to have beetles and grubs that the chickens would enjoy eating.

They would only pick up mites from other birds (domestic or wild) and I wouldn't have thought they'd stick around for long on a branch or log.

Rob 8)

LoupyLou

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 17:56 »
Update on the run.....i found a nice log/branch that i had cut down in the summer, put it in the run at an angle and not more than half an hour later there were four girls standing on it pecking away with a queue waiting in line to have a go next lol

It was great to watch :) (yet another hour of watching them flown by!  :D)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 18:04 »
I am a chicken voyeur.  I think we should get rid of the TV and replace it with a chicken run and watch that every evening.  :blink:

xx
just as a matter of interest

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 09:57
by Dominic

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.