novice chicken questions!!

• 3 Replies

Samandtwig

« on: January 24, 2009, 23:24 »
i am probably about to ask some silly questions, but please humour me i'm a complete novice!!

We have just bought an allotment plot at end of our garden and are thinking about getting some chickens, we are trying to work out where best to site the coup...

1)...we have alot of himilayan balsam and nettles coming through from an empty plot next door...i'm  thinking if i site the coup near this problem area of the garden would the chickens be able to eat this safely and keep the weeds at bay....??

2)...next door also have a small cattery near where we would probably site the coup, it is unlikely the cats would be able to get out and into the run/coup but will the noise stress the birds out, there can be alot of 'miaowing'?? we do have to dogs that keep any cats away most of the time...

3)..also what is the best way to keep the chickens from eating all our veg if we allow them to free range... or is that just an impossibility?

4)...we also have a river at the bottom of the garden, will this be a problem in terms of additional pests, we definetly have foxes, badgers (and aledgedly otters but we have never seen one).

5)...do chickens and bees mix? we are also looking at getting a beehive..

any advice would be greatfully recieved.

cheers

sam

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17 »
Hi Samandtwig. Welcome. :)

Most definitely NOT silly questions. :)

1. It would seem that some chickens eat nettles, some don't. No idea if Indian Balsam would give them any problems, but they will probably decide this for themselves. They take a bit, see if it's nice or not, then either leave it or gobbel the lot :wink:

2. Most keepers on here also have cats who mostly keep their distance. I would have though they'll quickly get used to the noise. If anything, the chickens may drive the cats mad.

3. A big fence !

4. Your best bet would be to read THIS about fox-proofing. You may need to beef things up for badgers and I'll bet otters can eat through anything in their path. Rats may prove a nuisance but no more than anywhere else  :?  You can obviously take precautions against these.

5. Yes !! ...there are a handful of new beekeepers on the site who would be happy to chat to you. It's somethign that many of us would love to try but are too nervous to go ahead with  :D

Stand back for many more opinions, some of which will contradict what I've just said. Best of luck.
Where abouts are you by the way ?
You can put your location in your profile for all to see.

ROb 8)

Samandtwig

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:37 »
Thanks for that... seems like chickens will be feasible then, but lots of research to do first!

No doubt will be picking all the expert brains on this forum for a while!!

location duly added to profile. :)

cheers

sam

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:45 »
Always good to know you can join the ranks of the mad chook folks :D

Foxy, who started the fox-proofing info sticky, is in your neck of the woods so can offer some local advice to you. There's a few others in and around your region for advice on feed suppliers, etc.

You'll not be short of information. :)

Rob 8)

xx
novice chicken keeper questions

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 15:29
by feelingbroody
xx
SOme questions from complete novice

Started by penance on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 21:52
by WoodyK
xx
Novice chicken keeper wants to peck your brains

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 22:00
by Belinda
xx
Chicken questions

Started by Biscombe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 36 queries.