Any people out there that can help me with this

• 49 Replies

Charlwood1005

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01 »
Hi Roughly

Have you bought the metaposts and wire yet?

This is my run

Just wondering because I found that putting the posts straight into concrete was easier and cheaper.

And

Provided the corner posts have 45 degree stays the wire is well suported by horizontal suspension wires.

I have though used 4 x 1 inch treated at the bottom to prevent attacks at the bottom.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08 »
Thanks all for you comments and advice.  I am purchasing the wood today.  As soon as weekend comes I will post photos of the site and progress.

One other question.  I was thinking of going for 1.5"/1" 19g 48" high buried to a depth of 9" so it will be 37" high.  I was considering using 2"/2" 16g 36" for the top half.   Just because it will give a bit of visibility though as it will be 4m from a public foot path I has to look ok.  

Thoughts?  Should not compromise the security of the chucks?  I cant see a problem. But at the moment I have so much stuff going on I may have over looked something.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 13:03 »
Sounds adequate Stuart.

I think as long as the hens can't get their heads through the mesh, they should be safe. Remember (as you will) to secure the mesh to the post with battens or similar, so it can't be prised off.

I'm going to look into a flimsy top edging to make climbing over difficult. Could you include a leccy wire too ?

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 13:21 »
Quote from: "Charlwood1005"
Hi Roughly

Have you bought the metaposts and wire yet?
Just wondering because I found that putting the posts straight into concrete was easier and cheaper.

No I have not bought the metaposts or the wire yet, and yes it is cheeper. Not looking forward to the digging but if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 13:26 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Sounds adequate Stuart.

I think as long as the hens can't get their heads through the mesh, they should be safe. Remember (as you will) to secure the mesh to the post with battens or similar, so it can't be prised off.

I'm going to look into a flimsy top edging to make climbing over difficult. Could you include a leccy wire too ?

Rob 8)

You must be reading my mind.  As the run is on the end of our barn I will be near mains electric.  So I was going to add these with electric fence wire at the top
and these at the bottom

Thats one strand at the top and one at the bottom.  I am also going to keep the run locked just in case the chicken rustlers come and I am having door closers on the doors, just the ones you have on gates.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 13:28 »
My only concern now is getting the posts at the correct hight as I am on a slight hill and it has to look good.  (nagging wife)

poultrygeist

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 13:30 »
Welcome to married life  :wink:  :lol:

Great innit ?? :D

You'll have to follow foxy's advice and bait the leccy wire. One respectful fox can keep the rest away hopefully. If you get any rogues, they'll not try more than once  :twisted:

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 15:33 »
Ok I have been thinking about hiring a post hole auger. Question is it will go to the required depth but it is only a 6inch wide will this be enough.  I am planning on using postcrete or a quick drying concrete mix.  

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 15:34 »
By the way I am using a free program to do my drawings called http://sketchup.google.com

poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 17:56 »
I did wonder. :D

I'd go for a wider hole with a couple of bricks or rocks in the bottom but I'm not really up on posts. I like to go for overkill. :)

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 18:09 »
RH have u thought of getting the main wire of ebay , i brought 3 - 30 metre rolls for £70  and its good solid stuff but the guy sells so much different wire its had to make up your mind . and i still have spare wire laying around from the rolls and that is after  i doubled up layers of it at the bottom of the run to give added protection.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 18:35 »
Yes I got my from ebay as well.  As I only have three sides to secure (the barn is on the fourth).  I have got 48" roll of Weld Mesh Wire 1"x1/2" 19g 30m for the bottom half,  9" to be dug in and 36"x2"x2" 16g for the top. I paid more but I want it now and was cheaper than local suppliers so I am happy.  As to the post question I am going to use the auger but widen the holes by hand (well with a spade).  I am going to use postcrete (blue circle) information here link
Sure someone will sell the stuff. I hope.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 10:18 »
B&Q used to sell postcrete or something very similar, two thing to consider with concreting posts in 1) bung some gravel at the bottom of the hole to allow drainage 2) shoulder the concrete up the post a little so water drains away from the posts and does not collect at the base where it meets the concrete.

Just to add to the confusion  :lol:
Post's can actually be set just using brick ends, bit's of old concrete etc if you can bang it in hard enough around them, this has the advantage of the post lasting longer because drainage is better and if you need to move them it's easier to get them up.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 11:27 »
Confusion  rains here. My excuse is grief (at the loss of my chickens). Rereading why I started this thread the answer is obvious.  
Anyway off to order the auger.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 10:07 »
Well I am aching today.  I slept in as well so mad rush to work means that I have forgotten my photos.  Sorry (will upload them tonight honest).  I can now see where I am going with the run.  
But I knew the land was wet but I did not realise how wet ( we are on Clay), but lucky the site in on a incline.  So fence construction is on hold as I have dug a trench  and I am going to order 80mm perforated land drain and 1 tonne of ...
That is the question should I use 1 inch aggregate to surround the drainage pipe? or Larger or smaller?
Oh by the way the water certainly started running in the trench I have dug.

Band Q do not sell postcrete, but sell post fix by hason.

xx
Sad People

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 22:51
by muntjac
xx
problems people have had

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 16:41
by babe
xx
How many eggs are people getting

Started by davidmw on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:16
by bantam novice
xx
Why do people get ex-bats?

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 20:03
by lindamary

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 28 queries.