Railing

• 11 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
Railing
« on: February 23, 2009, 20:30 »
Does anyone know what that means?  (RAILING)  I have 2 peeps, about 2months old and it looks like they are yawning and they stretch thier necks out, someone called it Railing.  what is it, and what do you do for it as far as medication?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  yf   Betty  ps  Yes I have access to both of those treatments from the local feed and supply store.  Will get it just in case, and do the whole flock.  CAN'T HURT.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 22:01 by betty »

poultrygeist

Re: Railing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 20:31 »
Hi betty.

Sounds very much like gapeworm from what I've heard. But I've never seen it. If it si, you need something akin to Flubenvet. DOn't know if you can get it there.

Rob

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 20:50 »
Apparently Piperazine is the active ingredient to look for to treat gapeworm. But wait for someone who knows what they're talkign about to come along !  :D

Rob 8)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 20:58 »
Hi, does anyone know how often does a bird have to gape to be gape worm? My mate who knows about bird behaviour says it is also a stress response. I thought if they gape they have worms. Nic.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 20:59 »
My knowledge is exhausted I'm afraid  :(

Vember

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 21:01 »
I agree with Rob yawing is a sign of gape.

I've had a look in my storeys guide to chickens  it mentions Rales

" Rales - Any abnormal sound coming from the airways"

But that's all it says ???

I'll have a look through my other books and see what I can find :)

Sarah :D

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 21:07 »
Dont have a clue sorry buh hope you find the answer

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

Vember

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 21:14 »
Hi, does anyone know how often does a bird have to gape to be gape worm? My mate who knows about bird behaviour says it is also a stress response. I thought if they gape they have worms. Nic.

I suppose in panic they would have their mouths open but once the threat has gone and they calmed down they would return to normal.
Where as with gape they will do it whilst relaxed doing normal every day chicken stuff :)

If that makes sense ???

Sorry Betty I've been through all my books and that is the only reference to it I can find :(

Sarah  :D

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 21:33 »
Thanks Sarah, I just mentioned it to my friend when we put some new girls in with the flock and that I was going to worm them and she said about the stress response. I have wondered as the others stopped doing it and then introducing the new neww ones I saw it again. Nic.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 21:55 »
The peep is only 2 months old and never been introduced to earthworms wich is one way of getting Gape worm.  Earth worms are carriers. This seems like a cold, he did sneeze a couple of times, nothing wet, and then scratched his ear and face.  I have my work cut out for me.  LOTS of reading to do.  I hope it's not an infection.  Any advice would surly be appriated, and thank you for what you all have done for me so far.  Will keep you updated, who knows maybe it's nothing :blush:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 22:02 by betty »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 22:03 »
Chooks do make a gaping movement to swallow things that's get a bit stuck or tickle their throats sometimes like bits of grass or even small feathers.

betty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 22:09 »
He was inside the house walking around pecking the floor, maybe he picked something up and it did give him a tickle.  I'm gonna watch him closely, and pick up the meds. Rob mentioned and do the whole flock, that can't hurt.  Supply store is about 1/4 mile from here and they carry it.  Foy's, it's advertised in Fancy Fowl USA.

Page created in 0.774 seconds with 30 queries.