Flymo DM drivebelt

• 23 Replies

Browser

• Experienced Member
Flymo DM drivebelt
« on: January 19, 2009, 18:16 »
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with my DM at the mo. I've been trying to get a new drivebelt for a while, finally secured an AX20 belt through Ebay after several blind alleys with kevlar belts which just slip and don't drive. This belt has the opposite problem in that it grips too well! DO I just need to persevere and wear the outer corners off so it will slip, or have I still got the wrong one? I tried the belt whose number was given on a previous thread on here and that was one of the kevlar ones.
Help?! :)
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Flymo DM drivebelt
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 20:35 »
Which way do you have it threaded up, I had a kevlar belt on mine and it was perfect, needs a bit of playing with tho'. do you have the manuals ??
Johns now got my old ones for pdf download Here
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Browser

• Experienced Member
Flymo DM drivebelt
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 23:03 »
Err, didn't realise there was a 'way round' for toothed-type vee belts? :oops:
The kevlar belts I tried (green-coloured, very stiff) wouldn't flex enough to run around the drive/driven pulleys and the tensioner. Yes, I've got the manuals, I'll have to read it and see if there's a section about fitting belts.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Flymo DM drivebelt
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39 »
I meant threaded around in the right order 1st time I did mine I got it completely wrong  :roll:  anyhow from what I remember  the kevlar belt does require quite a bit of tension, the blades would try to turn when idling but would not be enough to drive the machine along, until the grip was squeezed

Browser

• Experienced Member
Re: Flymo DM drivebelt
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 19:19 »
OK, drivebelt situation possibly still as was, have another problem now in that it won't start! It did whilst I was testing the belt but now won't/ I think the problem lies with the small cable which is connected to a terminal just below the carburettor.

And

The copper strip has a slot in it which fits neatly over a projecting steel lug in the piece behind it. THe copper needs to be pushed and held over the lug as it springs back if released. The lug has a hole in it suspiciously the right size to fit the bare end of the wire into. My theory is, that I am supposed to push the copper over the pug, insert the wire in the 'ole and release the copper strip, is this correct? I think that the throttle linkage contacts this bit when it is moved to the 'stop' position, earthing the LT side of the ignition circuit and stopping the 'vator. Can anyone help please as it won't start at present and as the fuzz say, I need to eliminate this from my enquiries. :blush:
p.s. like the new-look forum 8)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 19:21 by Browser »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 19:28 »
Think your right  ;) But I'd give it a good clean as well    here's a pic of my old one for you to compare.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 19:37 »
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! If I clean it, the magic pixies in the dirt that make it work properly will be gone, and it will never work again!!!!! :ohmy: :D
Looks like my guess was on the money, but thanks for the visual proof Richy. I'll clean the plug and have another go at starting it. I do know i need a new carb to fuel tank gasket as this one's leaking fuel. The old one was rock hard and I (obviously badly)made a new one to try and save money. I think I'll just have to shell out the cash for a genuine B&S one :tongue2:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 19:40 »
S*d the pixies clean it  :lol: :lol:

What about that blue instant gasket that everyone's got a tube of ?

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:33 »
S*d the pixies clean it  :lol: :lol:

What about that blue instant gasket that everyone's got a tube of ?

oh dear-o-dear-o-dear........ :blink:

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:41 »
OK, tried the petrol-down-the-carb route and it started, so I'm going to try getting/making another carb gasket to see if I can get it to seal. I will drain the petrol and get some fresh as this has been sat in it since before Christmas. I'm peeved as it used to only take one pull to fire up, it's now sulking and refusing to start easily. I suppose the carb might gummed up, or might need a service so I'll see if I can get a service kit.
Back to the thread topic, can anyone, please, give me the correct belt type for this machine? As said before, I bought an AX20 from an Ebay seller and it won't slip so the rotors are constantly turning, even on tick-over. I don't want a kevlar belt as they appear to need far too much tension. If I can't get anywhere I'll just put the old one back on, run it 'till it breaks and then try again. Help! :unsure:

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 14:39 »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 15:07 »
Thats where I got mine from Graham  :) but I think it's a Kevlar one,

the rotors on mine would turn even on tick over, but only if I lifted the rotors off the floor, it wasn't enough to pull it along.

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 16:29 »
I've always thought kevlar was best, seems to last much longer.
i wonder how rusty the pulleys are on our friends rotovator, that will make a huge difference on performance......

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 20:09 »
I've always thought kevlar was best, seems to last much longer.
i wonder how rusty the pulleys are on our friends rotovator, that will make a huge difference on performance......

I thought so too, it certainly did the job well on mine.

I agree any rusty pulleys could have an effect,

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25 »
I'll 'ave you know my pulleys are in tip-top shape, not a speck of rust in sight! I've never bin so insulted in me life, rusty pulleys indeed (wanders off, muttering about National Service, birching etc).
Nope, no rust, and the AX20 will probably work, just needs a little time to wear in. I tried starting the flamin' thing the other day after my previous starting shennanigans, went second pull, no bother! I'll still have to replace the carb gasket and could do with a service kit, but I think it might just have been stale petrol.
As an aside, the prices of second-hand DMs is still mad on Ebay, with one lacking it's mudguard selling for over £100 the other day! There's a spare's or repair on there now but it's a bit too far away :wub:

xx
Flymo dm

Started by cray0752 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 14:09
by Browser
xx
flymo GTA Help

Started by Daytona on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 21:30
by Daytona
xx
Flymo DM Help

Started by Nufan182 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2013, 10:41
by smud6ie
xx
Flymo DM Belt

Started by Saulty on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 15:36
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.