Peas

• 23 Replies

Ann

Peas
« on: March 03, 2007, 19:01 »
Have just received my peas, instructions on the packet are a bit confusing.  Do I sow inside or outside?  

Also how far apart packet says 2 inches which seems a bit close to me.

Any advice would be appreciated as this will be the first time I have tried to grow them. :?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Peas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 19:17 »
Hi Ann, yep 2 inch is fine, I do mine at that. Now when it comes to sowing I go straight in, cover them with mesh ad then a cloche, once up I remove the mesh but keep them under the cloche until the frosts have gone then put pea sticks or some other support up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

milkman

Peas
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 19:53 »
Sounds good to me too.  I draw out a wide trench 3 to 5 inches deep, sow the pea seeds on the bottom, then cover them with a layer of compost.  Then I cover the whole bed with a tent of viromesh.  Seems to prevent the mice sniffing them out and they get away to a good start.  I'll probably sow some next weekend - my overwintering peas experiment has been less than successful so I won't be bothering again.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

muntjac

Peas
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 20:04 »
shallow trench 2 inch deep and 12 inch wide sow a packet to 6 ft .then cover wire off and away ya go , sow another packet the next week for 6 weeks .if ya gonna freeze a load  sow a full row like wot i do  :wink:
still alive /............

Ann

Peas
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 23:01 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
shallow trench 2 inch deep and 12 inch wide sow a packet to 6 ft .then cover wire off and away ya go , sow another packet the next week for 6 weeks .if ya gonna freeze a load  sow a full row like wot i do  :wink:

There are approx 300 seeds in the packet  :?

muntjac

Peas
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 23:17 »
good they wil come up nice n thick then ann  lol.  i buy a load of packets and do about six of these rows . u can eat em when they just pods and let em comeon to full size and dry em for use later innth year for soups n stews , etc  i dont bother saving seed tho ,,,

muntjac

Peas
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 23:21 »

Ann

Peas
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 18:53 »
thanks for the info and the link I didn't think to do a search on old posts

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
Peas
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 19:09 »
muntjac, I need bigger pictures...

pretty please  :oops:

muntjac

Peas
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 19:17 »
wil try and find them mandy  on another cd before i photbuceted them  :wink:

frazzy

Peas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 21:10 »
Cor i can taste them peas already .yummy yummy trouble is most of mine get eaten on the plot and dont make it home . mine go straight in the ground at intervals like Munty said
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

muntjac

Peas
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 23:15 »

topleft shows the peas i put in ,, i sow 5 beds in total ,you can see the outside supports with the string and sticks

ziggywigs

Peas
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 23:38 »
Munty so you just push sticks into the ground and put string around them? Am i right.  Just trying to get a pic in my head. :roll:

Peas is the one crop i struggle with cos i never am sure how to support them.

Trillium

Peas
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 03:27 »
Yes, that looks like what he did, Ziggy. Just make sure the sticks are long enough to get some depth in the ground so they can support a good weight on the strings. Surprising how heavy a pea crop can get. Myself, I use leftover 1x2's or 2x2's, put a point on one end and hammer them into the ground, then tie on leftover bits of netting. If the posts sag a bit, the netting still holds up the crop.  :)

jane1264

• Experienced Member
Peas
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 09:12 »
I've got some peas I started off in pots and guttering,  they're getting a bit big for the pots (which are in the greenhouse), am I safe to move them to the allotment under a poly tunnel or do I need to wait a bit?  

I know I've been really impatient planting them so soon but I didn't expect them to come up so quickly!  

Just another quick though - with the bigger seedlings (there's only about 10 of them) could i put them in big pots on the patio and bring them inside if a frost is threatened?

thanks for any help and advice

Jane

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas!

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 22:04
by oldgrunge
xx
Peas

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 19:47
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 37 queries.