Best way to clear brambles?

• 4 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:29 »
Hi all, I have just got a lottie that is srsly overgrown with brambles. Pics on this thread:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=28221

My plan is to slash through them and pile them up at one end of the lottie to mulch/compost/generally decompose.

Does anyone have any advice or warnings about unforseen pitfalls of clearing and composting brambles?

Thanks.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:18 »
I don't think that piling them up at one end of the lottie to mulch/compost/generally decompose will work as a long-term solution.  By all means put them there for a while but they will need either shredding, burning or taking away.  Our site has a bonfire a couple of times a year to get rid of stuff that won't compost or, like brambles, would take years to decompose.  See if you are allowed to burn things on your plot or whether there is a way to get rid of rubbish/brambles.

As far as how to deal with them, then you are doing the right thing i.e. take them down to about 6 inches above the ground and then you will need to dig the roots out.  I think that it is a bit easier than it sounds so long as you have a good sharp spade and some loppers.   Get a good pair of gloves!  :lol:

Clampit

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:48 »
I have a long handled slashing tool which is brilliant for clearing bramble and nettles.
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/18/stock/244
I would highly recommend this type of tool, if you have a look round i'm sure you'll be able to get one cheaper or may be able to hire one.
As for letting it decompose I agree with Mikem, it would take years.

eeyore

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 18:52 »
a long bladed powered hedge cutter works well, ideally you need a petrol driven one as the rechargeables dont have enough ompth - you can hire them. Alternately a brushcutter with a steel blade works well too though it can be hard work if it keeps getting tangled up - the slasher mentioned above is a good manual alternative but very hard work on a large area.

My prefered method (in my job rather than on the allotment) is to use a chainsaw with a long (24") bar - however this is only a good idea if, like me, you are fully trained and experienced and have access to powerful and well maintained kit.

Finally you can hire two wheel tractors with flail units (which look a bit like a lawn mower on steroids) which go through briar patches like a knife through butter - however these may be overkill in the lottie situation.

des

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 19:36 »
JCB  :D

xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
brambles

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:10
by sunshineband
xx
brambles

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:35
by sunshineband
xx
Brambles!!!!!

Started by leinad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 11:40
by woodburner

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 32 queries.