Potatos in plastic sacks

• 17 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Potatos in plastic sacks
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 20:49 »
Quote from: "des"
Quote from: "sclarke624"
You are not supposed to use the compost again after tats I think as it may have diseases but I will for my lettuce pots and radishes, maybe not the tom pots as blight might be passed on.

Do you mean that you are not supposed to use the compost again for spuds, or not at all?

I have some 25litre plastic chemical drums, top removed and bottoms drilled, I plan on using these with 2 seed spuds in each, being a skinflint I was intending to use the same compost for succesive growings over the season then top up the raised beds with it when done at the end of the year.

I add compost from containers to my plot, though I'd suggest that you don't add your compost to beds where you're going to grow tomatoes or spuds the following season, just in case.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sclarke624

Potatos in plastic sacks
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 21:13 »
Do you mean that you are not supposed to use the compost again for spuds, or not at all

Not again for the spuds, I think this is incase of blight spores being in soil and probably other things.  But this year I am going to use half of it in the big 2ft tubs with some fresh and chicken pellets.  The tats had no disease last year and its in my garden not on lottie.  It just takes too much money to fill three big tubs like that with compost.  Any homemade compost would be too near the house as well as garden is L shaped around my corner sited bungalow.  I will use some of the old compost to put in my lettuce pots and carrot pots.  Especially carrot pots as they dislike fresh compost. If it all goes boobs up I will know not to do it next year.

But I'm not an old hand at this game next growing season will only be my third.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Cazzy

Potatos in plastic sacks
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 15:31 »
Quote from: "Etherelda"

My grandad is eating pots now that he has grown in the greenhouse. I think he's spent more on electric heating than tatties cost in the shops, but he refuses to buy veg!

Wow, so he must have started them a while ago, i'm just wondering how early I could get away with using some bags in an unheated greenhouse..... can hardly afford to heat the house right now so i'm deffo not heating the greenhouse this yr.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

xx
sacks for storing potatos

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 17:27
by zarazara
xx
Spuds in Sacks

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 18:49
by Ice
xx
Looking for potato sacks

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 19:43
by grendel
xx
where do people buy sacks

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 00:22
by Plot No 2

Page created in 0.733 seconds with 28 queries.