extra treats

• 15 Replies

freda

extra treats
« on: January 01, 2009, 20:42 »
can anyone suggest household scraps suitable for treats - I have left over mash from todays dinner but hesitated giving to my girls - they could really do with some comfort food as it has been -2 and -3 during the day over the last couple of days. :D
Hellooo! I am new to this site and relatively new to keeping chickens but what fun we are having! would love more and hubby coming around to my way of thinking! Kids in love with them!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
extra treats
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 20:46 »
In this cold weather mine like muesli or oats; it helps to keep them warm and they like scratching around to find all of the bits  :D

freda

extra treats
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 20:54 »
do you serve as you would yourself (oats and muesli)- milk and warm - or dry?! Sorry this seems like a really daft question  :oops: but am always learning something new on this fabulous forum!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
extra treats
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 21:20 »
None they are quite hardy.
but corn is slow to digest and keeps them warmer, last thing about 1/2 hour before they roost give them about 1/2 handful per bird of mixed corn, in the summer about 1/4 per bird.
You'd be better off making sure there are no drafts but good ventilation and perhaps a smear of vaseline on the combs and wattles on very cold nights.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumsy

extra treats
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 21:51 »
Mine have porridge oats made with water on very cold mornings,  served warm, also cooked veg peelings, soaked bread, greens, any left over veg/pots, unless the dogs get it first :wink: Mixed corn just before bed :wink:

PS they don't get these in one go BTW :D  Just when available :wink:  Always have corn though :wink:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
extra treats
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:02 »
Our girls love their treats...................mashed or baked spuds go down well also tomatoes, grapes, apples, pasta, rice a little bread too and they also love a fresh cabbage hanging up to peck at.

Did someone say my girls are spoilt??? :lol:

Blarney

• Experienced Member
extra treats
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40 »
My four are currently tucking into a warm bowl of mash potato, potato peelings, carrots, pasta and cabbage.  Their favourite treat is a bowl of bread which has been soaked in milk and microwaved for a minute.  They go absolutely mad over that.
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

extra treats
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 17:47 »
Is it alright to give them dry oats? Mine don't like wet things like mash.

I thread sprouts on a wire like beads and fasten  them to the netting. They also like apples this way. If they fall on the ground they usually get buried.

I think I spoil them.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
extra treats
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 14:01 »
I give mine dry oats as well as soaked in warm water and they've never complained either way  :D

Big Jen

extra treats
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 15:54 »
Try this- mine love it

Put mixed corn in a big bowl, pour a kettle of boiling water over it.
Cover with a tea towel and leave to stand for an hour or so and drain surplus water.
It softens the corn and they love it still warm.

Mine also like meal worms and sunflower hearts :lol:

BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

extra treats
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:02 »
Thanks for your ideas. I tried the oats and layer pellets in warm water which they ate very quickly.

princesspoultry

Re: extra treats
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 20:18 »
Quote from: "freda"
can anyone suggest household scraps suitable for treats - I have left over mash from todays dinner but hesitated giving to my girls - they could really do with some comfort food as it has been -2 and -3 during the day over the last couple of days. :D

My hens favorite treats are Noodles,Lettuce and Tomatoes. :D

princesspoultry

Chicken Treats
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 20:20 »
Some one told me to give my hens bread soaked in milk. Has anyone ever done/heard of that?

Oliveview

extra treats
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 21:24 »
I had 2 cartons of long life cream opened in the fridge (can´t eat now  cos of the healthy eating regime) so I gave them to the  hens.  
I broke up the bread and poured the cream over it then added hot water, mashed it all down with a fork and then presented it to the girls.......... the dish was all but licked clean :lol:
Not sure what they will get for their treat tomorrow, might have to cook chick peas :lol:  I like to give them a warming meal when it is cold.
Pamela

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
extra treats
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 21:29 »
mine will be getting some warmed up muesli again tomorrow; they can't get enough!

xx
Extra Egg!!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 20:26
by doodoo
xx
Extra foodstuffs

Started by Autumnlover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 11:56
by 8doubles
question
Extra Protein

Started by Prod on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 19:23
by Prod
xx
Extra ventilation...

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:44
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 37 queries.