Is this radicchio?

• 3 Replies

tallulah

Is this radicchio?
« on: January 01, 2009, 18:16 »
Hi all.  I've been after a lovely salad leaf veg for a couple of years now, which I think calls itself radicchio.  But, when I bought a pack of the seeds and grew them they most definately weren't the same lettuce.  The one I wanted looks a bit like a small red cabbage, with very dense leaves, coloured deep purple red with white veins, and very crispy like an iceberg lettuce.  It is also quite bitter, but absolutely delicious when coated in a honey balsamic dressing.  The one I grew was like a limp little gem!  bitter, but soft, and nowhere near as nice as the crunchy one.  I'm wondering if really its a totally different lettuce, and if anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, please put me out of my misery!

paintedlady

Is this radicchio?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 20:27 »
Could it be Chicory - Cicoria Rossa di Treviso Precoce (see Seeds of Italy)?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

compostqueen

Is this radicchio?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 23:09 »
yes Radicchio is what you're describing and you can get the seed anywhere. Red treviso is similar but has long elongated leaves, like a Romaine shape. Same sort of thing though and bitter though less bitter once sliced.  Both can be pan fried with garlic or chargilled etc  :D  Easy to grow and very hardy, having said that I failed with Radicchio but I think my seed was too old. The Red Treviso looks gorgeous on the plot  :D

tallulah

Is this radicchio?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 17:08 »
Thanks Painted Lady and Compost Queen.  I have just discovered today in Wyevales a packet of seeds with a picture that looks exactly like the veg I'm describing - and you got it PL!  It seems it's a red chicory after all - or to be precise, Chicory Orchidea Rossa.  I bought it quick - there are a mere 6000 seeds in it!

xx
Radicchio

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 17:21
by DHM
xx
Anyone grow radicchio?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 16:27
by mumofstig
xx
I planted some seed that is supposed to be Radicchio...but?

Started by I-Am-Steptoe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 14:44
by I-Am-Steptoe

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 28 queries.