Pooing in nest boxes and lack of perching- any tips?

• 16 Replies

carms 32

« on: December 27, 2008, 20:42 »
Hi
I am new to chickens and wonder if anyone has some advise they could give me?

I have 2 bluebelles, both are laying, and they are pooing in their nest boxes. I was told to block them off until they started laying, which they now are however they continue to use this area as a toilet. Any ideas?

ALSO
The house I have is said to take 4- 6 hens. It was supplied without a perch so we have had to install a DIY perch. Unfortunately they don't seem to be using it at night. We have tried putting them on it at night but its not working...

Any ideas would be welcome,
Thanks

Helen

Vember

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 21:05 »
Hi Carms 32

Welcome to the Hen House :D

Are they sleeping in the nest box?
If so is the perch you have put in lower than the nest box?

Hens "normally" like to roost high up so they will go to the highest point :)

I have one now that still insists on sleeping in the nest box, I just pick out the poo every morning so that it's not too much of a problem :D

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 21:31 »
my girls are ex batts so before i got them i would assume that they had nev er seen a  perch ever , but now i cant keep them of them at night i would say just give them time but make sure the perch is high up as u can get it . mine even argue on whos perching where  :lol:  they seem to all have their own little  area .
and one tip if they start to perch make sure if u can do it is put a shelf under the perch so that when they poo it goes on there an no where else and makes it easier for cleaning .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 21:32 »
Welcome carms. :)

If you can post any photos up of the inside, we may spot any obvious flaws. Some manufactured coops are no more than glorified hutches so there may be a few things you can do to help.

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 21:37 »
i am going to put up pics of my house shortly so maybe it can help give u ideas ,

its not a top hotel looking hen house but my guys love it  :lol:  did that make sense .

Ygerna

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:41 »
What did you make the perch out of? If its too round, they may have trouble getting a grip, an ovoid shape may be better. If its too sqare try sanding off the corners. :D

Missy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 18:24 »
Hi
I too am a very new suragot parent to 6 chucks.  
My new hen house did not have any perches so yesterday my brother put in two for me (made of 1" X 2" rounded edged timer)

Imagine my delight this moring when I went to see the girls and two of them were peeping down at me.  

I did have my reservations over the height of them as I thought they would be too high, but the girls love them.  I think the two timid ones are using this for some respite from the others.  I just hope they all settle down together and become good friends!!!!!!!!

Look forward to checking into this site regularly to see the advise available.

LG.

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 18:31 »
Welcome Lisa  :)

Sounds like they're happy hens.
If the perches are very high, the hens can get bumblefoot (a painful injury) from jumping down to the ground, especially of they're large, heavy birds.
You may be able to make some steps or ramps for them, but you'll know if they need any. :)

Rob 8)

Missy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 18:37 »
Thanks for the advise.  I may look at making a ramp for them.  After reading different books and articles on web sites, I am dreading them ailing for anything!  

Am looking forward to happy days with my chucks and can't wait for my first egg, though I expect this to be a while yet!!!!

Missy

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 19:39 »
It's me again, just been thinking about my perches!!!  They are approximatley a foot high of the floor (maybe an inch or two higher). High enough for the chucks to walk about under them without having to duck!

In your experience, would you say this is about right or too high/low.

L.

Bodger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 19:45 »
The birds will almost certainly be sleeping in the nest boxes, which is when they will be doing the pooing.
Block the nest boxes off before their bed time. This will have two results. Its will stop the pooing problem and also make them roost on their perches.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 20:57 »
Quote from: "lisa grandcourt"
It's me again, just been thinking about my perches!!!  They are approximatley a foot high of the floor (maybe an inch or two higher). High enough for the chucks to walk about under them without having to duck!

In your experience, would you say this is about right or too high/low.

L.

That sounds fine to me Lisa.  :)

Mine are similar.

Rob 8)

carms 32

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 18:14 »
Thanks to all the replies.

The perch we made is made from 2x 2 timber with the corners planed off. I have tried to insert some photos but was unable to. The perch is about the height of the top of their nest box and is positioned about half way up the internal height (It is not a very tall house - rather snug.) It runs diagonally from one corner to the other - the only way we could fix it.

I will try suggestions of blocking off the nest boxes in the night.
Many thanks
Helen

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 18:25 »
Hi Helen,

we have 3 Bluebelles which we got at the end of September. We had the same problem to start with. We first put the perches higher than the nest box, and added a ramp for them to walk up and down. We also started picking them up at dusk and placing them on the perches, where they then stayed. We also blocked off the nesting box with a piece of wood, but only until they had gone to sleep, then removed it. Also. we bought a plastic egg and put it in the nesting box to show them what it's for! All that was only for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then they sort of worked it out, and got into a routine.

Now they take themselves off to roost on the perches every night, even if we are still at work. We don't block off the nesting box any more, and 1 of them has started laying in the last 3 weeks, and knew exactly where to go to do it!

I think they are great creatures of habit, and just take a bit of getting into the right habits.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but hope it helps.

Cheers,

Jacky.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 15:18 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Block the nest boxes off before their bed time. This will have two results. Its will stop the pooing problem and also make them roost on their perches.

that could have the added disadvantage of the hens laying in the sleeping area  :wink:

Ours like to crawl into the nestbox to sleep and we just open the hatch and turf them into the sleeping area.  Last night OH opened the hatch and jessica went straight into the sleeping area on her own, so she's getting used to it!
and none of ours ever sleep on the roosting bar (except when it's really really hot!).

xx
Nest boxes

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 20:31
by jinty1911
xx
Nest boxes

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 18:42
by nzdunn
xx
Nest boxes

Started by snowdrops on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2019, 18:41
by grinling
xx
Nest Boxes

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:34
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 28 queries.