Cauliflower - All Year Round

• 8 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:54 »
No - not the variety - but planning sowing/harvesting.

I stumbled across this handy chart on Moles Seeds site which gives you sowing & harvesting time for different varieties. (Club root permitting :cry: ).

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/acatalog/chart-cauliflower.html
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:04 »
that prompted me to go and check my newly sown AYR in the greenhouse. Nothing, zilch, nada. Very cold in there though

So, back to caulis.  I got the Moles book so I'll go see ....

Must say that I'm gutted that this year they didn't send out planners  :cry:  I'm going to ask why not

I'll let you know what they say. Scrooges

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:06 »
I usually pop some in around Christmas - it's an easy date to remember!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:13 »
I'll get some more in then DD.  I like to sow my geraniums on Boxing Day, you know when you get that lull  :D  so I can add caulis to this list.

I had a rubbish cauli year. Not one came to anything, oh tell a lie I got one head of Romanesco  :D

So this year I'm going to focus on Aviso and getting them to the plate  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:25 »
I find with the early sowing I stand half a chance with the club root. I've ordered those club resistant ones for a lot of us - Clapton, so may risk an early sowing of one or two of those.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:31 »
Thanks for the link DD. I have a real problem growing a lot of the brassica's maybe next year, :roll: my plot does not have clubroot thankfully.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 15:45 »
We have clubroot big time on our plots, as this was my first year on it I was sussing it all out, Mick next door to me grows fantastic brassica's so I have been spying on him, I think he put's lime in the holes before he transplants, some one else told me this when I mentioned it to him. Food for thought next year me thinks.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 15:47 »
I have an old gardening book and it recommends double liming in the autumn if you have club root.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 15:04 »
Thanks for the link. I've grown 4 vars of cauli this year 3 are on the list this is the experience so far:

AYR sown 29 mar, transp 21st may harvested 27th Julyto 9 aug - all superb also all ready together must handle succession planting better.

Triomphant sown 6th April transp 21st may harvesting sporadic Sept to present - some yet to produce curds. However very disappointing, curds only a little bigger than tennis balls, leaves stunted. Clearly suffered check
at some stage but treated same as AYR?? Not though a variety issue - grew them last year and got huge curds 2to 3kg each. On evidence of last 2 years this variety is 2 months earlier here than is indicated in the Moles table

Peron sown 17th May transp June 4th in the main growing well (one or two shaded by PSBs which are enormous this year - must like the wet)
This sow one year harvest next plays havoc with rotation bed schemes.

Also growing Winkle which alledgedly will produce curds in april. Sown
6th April transp may 30th growing well looks as though the curds will be well protected by leaves.

Also have calabrese Sampson and Chevalier between them they produced primary heads fro mid july to mid sept and have continued to produce secondary florets ever since we usually manage two servings per week from 6 or 7 plants

xx
cauliflower [all the year round]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2020, 18:29
by AndyRVTR
xx
Carrots all the year round...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2018, 10:07
by Nobbie
xx
growing all year round

Started by chris1976 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2006, 21:21
by yewtreemob
xx
All year round cauli's

Started by reianki on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 11:52
by Brassica Blaz

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 29 queries.