Recommend me a good veg book

• 26 Replies

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« on: November 30, 2008, 22:43 »
I currently have Dr Hessayon's Veg Expert book (how rich must that guy be?) but it's not exactly up to date (he lists garlic in with the herbs and no details on growing it, for example) or very detailed.

Can anyone recommend me a good 'bible' on basic veg growing? I find it very hard to follow detailed instructions, so the more basic, the better.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 22:45 »
I like Joy Larkcom's Grow your own vegetables as it's got the lot in there :D   John Harrison's Month by Month book available via this site is excellent as well

Brambles

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 00:01 »
I have quite a few glossy veg books and lots of large colourful ones, mostly pressies..
I bought John's book this year from this site.. VERY easy to use, simple no nonsense advice/information.  It is easy to carry around and this really is all you need :D  
THEN.. if you have any questions or queries, there are lots of people on this forum that will help you.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22 »
I buy books and books and books...

If I only had one book though it would also be Joy Larkcom's. No hesitation, It's the one I keep coming back to, can't think of another one that comes close to it (especially now the free seed offer for another title has come to an end - sorry John).

SS

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19 »
You gotta get this one (we all have)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:56 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You gotta get this one (we all have)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php

We really arent just saying that honest!! Lots of people who dont post here have bought the book. (See Amazons best sellers) Im never without this, its the first reference book I turn to. Then Dr H, and Im also thinking of treating myself to Carol Klein (because its reduced and I like her :D )

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03 »
Thanks all. I shall check out the Joy Larkcom when I'm in next in town. As for the other book, call me naive, but do I detect a hint of conflicting interest?  :wink:

But I shall probably buy one anyway.  8)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:52 »
Chuffy, I wrote it because I couldn't find a good up to date overall guide for the novice. But check it for yourself - Joy Larkcom's very good indeed but I thought a bit advanced for a beginner.

Hessayon approaches things in a different way, excellent beginner's book though.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Moosey

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 13:56 »
As a complete novice to this gardening and veg growing lark, I have to say Johns book is really great!  I have things in the garden (my veg plot) that are actually growing  :D

Thumbs up from me  :thumleft:

:D
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 17:06 »
Johns book is tops in our house without a doubt.We have other books but they get heavy going and compilcated.
I got free seeds with mine too :D  :wink:

FRUITFULL

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 17:07 »
ps.And its signed by the Author :D  :wink:

amckeen

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 17:16 »
I agree, John's book is very good.  Definitely a worthy bestseller.

Carol Kleins book is good too and I notice that if you subscribe to Kitchen Garden magazine at the minute you get her book plus a workbook that accompanies it.  A last minute Christmas idea perhaps?

madcat

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 17:28 »
Big problem with John's book is that I look everything up in it.  And then get confussed when there isn't an entry for black/red/white currents or raspberries or gooseberries or basil or etc etc etc. :(  

I keep forgetting they arent veg within the meaning of the act (book) ... they are on the allotment therefore they must be!  Duh! :oops:

Can you do a 'and for those of you who will insist on growing other eatables' book please?  Ideally before I have to prune the apples etc.   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 18:00 »
Quote from: "madcat"
Big problem with John's book is that I look everything up in it.  And then get confussed when there isn't an entry for black/red/white currents or raspberries or gooseberries or basil or etc etc etc. :(  

I keep forgetting they arent veg within the meaning of the act (book) ... they are on the allotment therefore they must be!  Duh! :oops:

Can you do a 'and for those of you who will insist on growing other eatables' book please?  Ideally before I have to prune the apples etc.   :D

Ask and thou shalt receive in March :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 18:34 »
Quote from: "john"
Quote from: "madcat"

Ask and thou shalt receive in March :)

That's all very well John, but the tree should have been pruned in January  :roll:  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Recommend a book

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 11:07
by Njal
xx
Can anyone recommend a good seed site?

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 12:21
by fletch
xx
Recommend me a good early raspberry

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 12:41
by Gwiz
xx
a good beginers book

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 18:29
by DD.

Page created in 0.77 seconds with 31 queries.