Leeks. Why do you plant them in seed bed and then move them?

• 13 Replies

yummy

Can anyone please tell me why you plant leeks in a seed bed and then transplant them?

What is a seed bed exactly? Is it just a small section that has finer soil/compost?

Thanks

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 14:27 »
For the first few months of their life leeks are very small so if they were spread out in their final positions they would occupy lots of valuable space and at the same time would be difficult to keep weed-free. As leeks transplant without any fuss it is normal practice to grow them in a sheltered spot or a cold frame.

A seed bed in this context is just a nice corner where seeds can be sown broadcast over a few sq ft and easily kept weed-free and protected until they are big enough to be positioned in their final positions.

It is normal for leeks to be planted out in July-August following on from a spring crop that has been harvested maximising the cropping from the minimum space.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 16:02 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
For the first few months of their life leeks are very small so if they were spread out in their final positions they would occupy lots of valuable space and at the same time would be difficult to keep weed-free. As leeks transplant without any fuss it is normal practice to grow them in a sheltered spot or a cold frame.

A seed bed in this context is just a nice corner where seeds can be sown broadcast over a few sq ft and easily kept weed-free and protected until they are big enough to be positioned in their final positions.

It is normal for leeks to be planted out in July-August following on from a spring crop that has been harvested maximising the cropping from the minimum space.

that has been manured nicely from the previos crop  :wink: like wot spuds have
still alive /............

BAK

• BK This and That
Improve length of stem
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 17:14 »
Also, when planted out they should be put into deep holes (6-8 inches) such that all the stem and possibly some of the leaves are below ground level. This encourages longer stems.

I have occasionally had spare plants over and just healed them back into the seed bed. The difference between the planted out leeks and those in the seed bed is significant - the planted out leeks are much bigger and fatter than the relatively spindly looking ones in the seed bed.

yummy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 15:30 »
Thanks

So supposing I want to grow baby leeks and I have more space than I can shake a stick at... can I just sow them in their final positions?

Annie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 16:14 »
I sew in deep pots in  march (about 1/3 pkt per pot)and in june make holes,drop the wee plants in,water in .No seed bed, then you can pick as baby leeks or leave to grow.If I only could plant after potatoes are harvested and had less space i would have to rethink!

WG.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 16:14 »
Quote from: "yummy"
So supposing I want to grow baby leeks and I have more space than I can shake a stick at... can I just sow them in their final positions?

Yes, I broadcast sow leeks in blocks to grow baby leeks.  They will self-thin to some extent but you can also transplant the thinnings elsewhere to grow into adult leeks.   They are tricky to weed for a start but well worth the effort.

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 17:22 »
so when is the right time to sow from seed?? thank you please
please let me have the good life
cant cope with this one

Annie

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 17:25 »
I sew end march /beginning of april.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 17:28 »
I'm going to sow in a deep seed tray (cat litter tray with holes burnt through), anytime now & kick them off in the greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 17:40 »
thanks dave so just put the seeds in a deep tray (how deep) and do i sow them thinly and do i keep the soil moist
sorry for all the questions

Ray

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 17:49 »
Is this where old loo roll centres would make good pots stood in a seed tray?
Ray & Aslan
We may have weeds but we have no mice!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 17:53 »
Quote from: "bridgeford"
thanks dave so just put the seeds in a deep tray (how deep) and do i sow them thinly and do i keep the soil moist
sorry for all the questions

No problems. Now this might seem a bit painstaking, but I find it well worth the effort......

As I said I use cat litter trays, as they are nice & deep,be sure to make holes in the bottom though - a hot skewer will do the job. I use compost from grow bags, as it seems one of the cheaper ways to buy it.

Now here's the painstaking bit, I plant the seed individually 1" apart 1/2 deep. That way they don't crowd each other out. I get nearly 100% germination in the green house. One of these trays will produce 96 plants. Compost has to be kept moist. When a reasonable size they can be moved outside to grow on. I then transplant when they are the thickness of a pencil.

It's something I read somewhere, I didn't make it up my self, but when they go in they are real sturdy plants.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 17:55 »
Quote from: "Ray"
Is this where old loo roll centres would make good pots stood in a seed tray?

I would'nt faff with them in this case as you're not too bothered about disturbing leek roots when transplanting, in fact you cut them off!

xx
Leeks available in Seed or Plant = different harvesting period?!

Started by hobhob on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 13:04
by Yorkie
xx
Can I move established leeks?

Started by mazzer12 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 20:55
by zazen999
xx
Can I move this red currant plant?

Started by matthew6476 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:15
by Trillium
xx
Can you move a pumpkin plant once it is established?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 06:40
by DD.

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 27 queries.