Growing by Lunar Planting

• 120 Replies

penance

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 14:12 »
Quote from: "happy chick"
For every little legs and Zak the Rabbit there'll be people out there who have the opposite opinion and like the idea of lunar gardening.

People are entitled to an opinion, but this subject is not about opinion. It is about fact, and the fact is that lunar planting makes no difference what so ever.
Yes, in years gone by people used the moon and/or sun to help sow and harvest, but that was to judge the correct time in the calander, not because the moon magicaly helps seeds germinate.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 14:15 »
I bought a book on this for 2008.  Unfortunately work and the rain didn't  co operate so I missed the boat with some of the planting times etc.   I'll have another go next year.  There's no harm in it and according to most it does seem to help yield wise.  If the RHS think it's worth a go - why not.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 14:33 »
We live in a country which believes in civil liberties.  We are allowed certain behaviours and freedoms as long as it doesn't infringe or negatively affect others' civil liberties.  Basic political theory. I know because I studied it!   Within the theory of liberalism we are allowed to have an opinion with one basic proviso.  That basic proviso being that it doesn't affect someone-else's civil liberties.  Having an opinion about lunar gardening does NOT affect your civil liberty.  Having an opinion that racial hatred is acceptable is NOT compatible with living in a civilised free society and DOES affect our civil liberties.

I'm cool with most people's opinions as long as they conform to two basic principles; one, that they don't negatively compromise our civil liberties and two, that the debater accepts that in most circumstances their opinion is just that, an opinion.  It wasn't what Aidy was saying that I had a problem with; it was the way he was saying it.  As i said i myself don't have an opinion one way or another about lunar gardening.  If i didn't agree with it I would try to do it in as non-confrontational way as possible by explaining why and then reminding people that this just happened to be my opinion, and that other opinions are out there and that mine is just one of many  :D
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 14:38 »
fair enough, though i must admit to having read aide post as his opinion. Though it isnt written as "in my opinion lunar gardening is x"

Pompey Spud

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 14:43 »
Quote from: "happy chick"
We live in a country which believes in civil liberties.  We are allowed certain behaviours and freedoms as long as it doesn't infringe or negatively affect others' civil liberties.  Basic political theory. I know because I studied it!   Within the theory of liberalism we are allowed to have an opinion with one basic proviso.  That basic proviso being that it doesn't affect someone-else's civil liberties.  Having an opinion about lunar gardening does NOT affect your civil liberty.  Having an opinion that racial hatred is acceptable is NOT compatible with living in a civilised free society and DOES affect our civil liberties.

I'm cool with most people's opinions as long as they conform to two basic principles; one, that they don't negatively compromise our civil liberties and two, that the debater accepts that in most circumstances their opinion is just that, an opinion.  It wasn't what Aidy was saying that I had a problem with; it was the way he was saying it.  As i said i myself don't have an opinion one way or another about lunar gardening.  If i didn't agree with it I would try to do it in as non-confrontational way as possible by explaining why and then reminding people that this just happened to be my opinion, and that other opinions are out there and that mine is just one of many  :D

Not much to do today?

By the way just in case you hadn't heard, the earth isn't flat. 8)
Top tip for camping....don't go.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 14:48 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Don't get me started again!!! :lol: There may be others out there who still believe the earth is flat and no matter how scientifically untrue we have to respect their opinions!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 14:58 »
Ok you lot keep calm  :shock:  everyones entitled to an opinion.

Next... polite reminder No Politics

keep the topic on track please or it will be pulled, for some reason this subject causes a lot of controversy.  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 15:36 »
It was my opinion and based on those who tried it fairly and as controlled as they could, proved the FACT it made no difference, this was a few members not just one so the outcome was those who tried it failed and saw no difference in germination or yield and those who first brought it up disappeared. I am also aware of the RHS and other scientific research done on this and in a very controlled environment suggest it works but to relate that to our plots/ gardens which is not controlled I and I am sure many others agree it's just plain old lunacy.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 16:16 »
I like nice friendly debate too! :shaking:

Some members havent been here as long as others.  

Anyway experts are always changing there minds about facts!

:roll:  :silent:
janet

penance

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 16:51 »
How can you change minds about facts, a fact is a proven truth and does not change.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 17:01 »
Try typing facts that have changed into google and you'll find loads to keep you busy!

penance

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 17:06 »
If it changed it was not a fact, simple.
A fact can not change it is a truth that has been proven.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 17:14 »
so lunar trials continue! :D

penance

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 17:17 »
Maybe so, as a hypothesis, not a fact.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 17:47 »
In my opinion its all guesswork!

The world exists largely independantly of our knowledge of it, but our descriptions of it do not, for they clearly depend on available knowledge.  The real is not directly knowable.  SAYER

In my opinion he seems like a bright chap!

xx
lunar planting

Started by sarajane on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 22:41
by sarajane
xx
lunar planting

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 12:55
by ytyynycefn
xx
Lunar Planting anyone?

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 18:43
by DD.
xx
Lunar planting

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 11:23
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.707 seconds with 30 queries.