Fruit bushes

• 5 Replies

drizabone

Fruit bushes
« on: November 18, 2008, 14:12 »
Now in my second year as an allotmenteer and now starting to plan/consolidate the rest of me plot. I have some neglected and overgrown berry bushes (redcurrant, gooseberry, raspberry etc) and need some advice. Ideally I would like to move them as they are full of couch, bindweed and brambles, so when is the best time to replant and do use a bare root method or rootball. Any clues will be much appreciated.

compostqueen

Fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 14:30 »
I would say you could move them now. I'd take some rootball if I were you

You could give them a light prune to get rid of diseased and dead stuff and any tangled cross over branches etc. With fruit, such as guzgogs you aim to make a cup shape so that you get plenty of air circulating in the middle of the plants as some varieties are slave to mildew

Have fun

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Fruit bushes
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 15:11 »
Cup shape is also good when it comes to picking time & you don't have to reach through 2 foot of thorns to get to the big ones!

Be careful you don't move an inch of couch grass or bindweed root if you move a root ball!!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

drizabone

Fruit bushes
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 15:39 »
That's what I am worried about, the lottie was alive with those pernicous beggars and they choked everything.

Trillium

Fruit bushes
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 15:58 »
Whenever I move fruit bushes, once the lump is out of the ground I immediately pick through the soil to pull out weed roots. I try to hold as much soil intact as possible to protect the fine feeder roots but if I have to, I'll strip the soil to pull out weed roots. Now is the best time for this job, when the plant is dormant.

DANNY

Fruit bushes
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 16:26 »
I agree with all thats been said and the only thing I,d  Add that I feel is important is to remember these shrubs and bushes are going to be in their new home for a long time so ensure you put a good compost bottom feed ie fish, blood , and bone and then a really good mulch around the stems  once you,ve filled the hole in  to help keep frost away,
I believe all fruit trees/bushes etc are money well spent and over the years you,ll get what ever you paid back ten fold "in your case as you paid nothing for them your on a winner "so dont make the mistake of not bottom feeding.

Now ref you asking about when to plant, just look in the garden centre,s and you can see what they are selling in bulk at any given time of the year, ie they have lots of roses fruit, bushes, fruit trees now as its planting time and during january/feb, the sap in the fruit trees are low down the tree,s so its this time of the year you prune and tidy up the fruit trees.
I hope this has been a help,
regards Danny.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
3x Fruit bushes £1.99!

Started by Allotment Angel on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 16, 2007, 08:05
by flatcap
xx
Fruit Bushes

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:03
by WG.
xx
Fruit Bushes

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 20:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.591 seconds with 30 queries.