Allotment Etiquette?

• 18 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
Allotment Etiquette?
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:35 »
As I am about to hopefully get my first plot, I was wondering if there was any allotment etiquette that I should know about?  :shock:

ie: If I want to grow tall plants such as Jerusalem Artichokes / Sunflowers - now I wouldn't them to overshadow my other veg, but what about my neighbours veg? - is it frowned upon if I overshadow their plot?  :evil:
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

mum2many

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:45 »
Not got a clue  :) but will be interested in the replies, wouldnt want to upset my neighbours
Em x
Already got names for my chooks but dont tell "Tom"
organic? non organic? not a clue only just started

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:49 »
Methinks you'd need a mighty big patch of mighty tall sunflowers to overshadow your neighbours!

Don't forget that the sun moves through the sky, (well the earth rotates actually), any shadow from your 30' sunflowers would only be in one spot for a few seconds!

It's only things like a long row of dense trees that will block out light day long.

So don't worry - get planting!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mysteryjimbo

• Experienced Member
Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:56 »
A lot of the allotment you're looking at have high enough hedges not to cause a problem.  

I've planted J Arti's in a shelter position with 70% of the days direct sunlight can get to them but are out of the way of wind next to the hedge.  

I'll be using the other side of the bed for the more traditional sweetcorn.

mixdiver

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:15 »
How about keeping your plot free from weeds - my neighbour has not ever fully dug his plot and it is infested with couch grass and slugs! Yuck
Anti-social in my book

MD
Digging away to keep the weight down!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:33 »
Dont have a problem with tall plants as the sun is too high mid summer but I do with weeds, big weedy patch next door thats a constant battle with bind weed creeping in, I have created a small wild area with a little pond for frogs but it gets over run from next doors, however we now have a comitee and they have said the plots must now be kept in good order as we now have around 30 on the waiting list so we will see what happens.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Dont have a problem with tall plants as the sun is too high mid summer but I do with weeds, big weedy patch next door thats a constant battle with bind weed creeping in

Surruptisious late night sprinkle of Sodium Chlorate might sort the problem (non polluting too).

wellingtons

I don't care ...
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:41 »
... what other peeps want to grow really, prefer not to get weeds creeping in from next door tho.

Mind you the misery next door to me has ideas of what I can and can't grow ...  :lol:

purplebat

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59 »
if he pokes his nose in that much tell him to grow you a new greenhouse !!!
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:03 »
If I had a misery next door I would spike me hair and poke his eyes out.  :twisted:

muntjac

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 12:16 »
there is no allotment ettiquette re growing any plants you want to grow bigguns do so , if you grow them furthest from the sun on your plot you wont over shadow ur other stuff ,  
 you do not walk onto another plotters allotment with mud on your boots unless its ok with him .you dont leave tools in dangerous places on foot paths  you decide who is making the tea and the other who brings the biscuits or cakes at first meeting , never argue over who has the biggest ? :wink:
still alive /............

beansticks

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 12:58 »
I am with Mixdiver,the greatest favour you can do your fellow allotmenteers is to keep the weeds down to a minimum,likewise expect the same from your neighbours.Unfortunately i suffer from an inconsiderate person who only attends his plot 2-3 times a year,most of his produce rots in the ground,people starving in africa!!!!!!!!!!!

Oliver

One of nature's thugs ...
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 12:59 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Dont have a problem with tall plants ....  but I do with weeds.

If you grow North to South, then shading is not a problem, but J. Artichokes (also known as Japanese Sunflowers)  are extremely prolific and very invasive.  Keep and eye on them and bear a thought for your neighbours plot -

My neighbour has JA's as a windbreak for his plot, so it is on the boundary with ours. The tubers don't stay on the boundary and invade our plot every year. We dig them up every year, but we can't use some 3 feet of plot near these plants - they take all the moisture from the surrounding earth and come up in the middle of whatever we grow and over take them.

So - an effective windbreak for Fred, who also had a struggle keeping them in a 1 foot wide row, also very pretty flowers in the autumn if you let them get that big.  Of course, you can also eat the tubers. They are a fiddle to peel, but make excellent soup and taste very nice. They are, however, known as Fartichokes in our household!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

mixdiver

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 13:20 »
It drives me MAD that my neighbour cultivates a wide selection of weeds. I would like him to loose his plot. It seems however more likely that Elvis will be seen walking down Oxford Street naked before he get's his marching orders
I'm not saying an allotment needs to be weed free and sterile but there needs to be some order to it for the sake of what we are trying to nurture to fruition

MD

Trillium

Allotment Etiquette?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 16:44 »
Oliver, have you ever tried putting an inground barrier between you and those JA's? It would have to be a good strong piece of metal, perhaps old metal roofing, cut into strips at least 12-18" deep and strips overlapped as you set them in. It's a bit of work but at least you'd have 3 valuable feet of your plot back. And no JA's.  :)

xx
allotment etiquette

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 22, 2006, 13:35
by wellingtons
xx
Mares tail, neighbours and allotment etiquette

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 12:27
by Aidy
xx
If you take over an allotment

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2020, 20:18
by Learnerlady
xx
new allotment

Started by bonjives on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2007, 09:57
by grunt&groan

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 28 queries.