If you take over an allotment

• 8 Replies

Christine

If you take over an allotment
« on: September 26, 2020, 08:07 »
I've had two for three years whilst there was a slack waiting list and not wanting to see a vastly improved one revert to wilderness. I'm now reverting to one now we have some takers. My question is: what does one leave in the way of plants as I can't fit everything into one. These are large 10 rod plots.

1. Rhubarb - well it was there when I took over so that can stay. Acceptable?
2. Strawberries - productive bed and I've taken lots of runners to fill up on the plot I'm keeping. Acceptable?
3. Dwarf cherry trees - 2, not particularly productive so not bothering to move. Acceptable?
4. Perennial Geranium pink - huge clump in a distant corner, not sure I have room. Very pretty. Acceptable?
5. Three clumps of herbs from which I have taken cuttings. Acceptable?
6. Large riotous mint patch which will be cut back at end of flowering. Acceptable? Anyone who wants to move that is brave mind  :D
7. Unfinished compost heap under black plastic. Don't think I have an ice cream's chance in a hot place of clearing that.

So what would you all say if you were handed this plot?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: If you take over an allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:22 »
I would be happy with that. Something to start with and the option to take things out once you have had the plot for a while. Plus some compost ready made for you.  Sounds ideal  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:35 »
I agree, if that's all that 'wrong' with it, I'd say thanks very much and grab it quick  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 09:12 »
I agree with Mum grab it because obviously the last plot holder has decided enough is enough and through the towel in its usually a pile of old carpets and plastic sheeting and a few plastic bottles or beer cans that one inherits to get rid of  :D :D

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 11:38 »
I’d say that is very acceptable, but I’d really try to get the compost moved to your remaining plot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:40 »
Agree with everyone else.  Take what you want and leave the rest.

One thing I would say, is that if you are taking plants out then please don't leave big holes behind; find a way to refill them.  That's not so considerate and can be a hazard when the plot is being re-let.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 14:31 »
I'd say 'thanks very much' to take over the plot as described. On the plot where I toil currently, I inherited a substantial number of rotten kitchen units, yards of buried nylon carpet, and all the vandal-proof perspex panes from a dismantled telephone box.

The perspex had been cut into a very large number of 6" wide strips. An angle grinder was used by the look of it. But why

I often think of the previous tenant I never met..

A disgruntled BT telephone engineer perhaps, bent on revenge; forced to spend his redundancy money on a new kitchen for a demanding partner. With a personal hatred of nylon carpet - but a love of power tools...

A man lacking the internet and unable to read, convinced that an allotment and the council tip were one and the same

I'll never know..
images (1).jpg
DSCN4756.JPG
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 14:37 by juvenal »

Christine

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 16:36 »
One thing I would say, is that if you are taking plants out then please don't leave big holes behind; find a way to refill them.  That's not so considerate and can be a hazard when the plot is being re-let.
That I intend to do - it's a matter of good manners. Besides the which I shall still be on a plot just across the path so wouldn't want an irate neighbour.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 20:18 »
Hi,
I took on a large allotment and inherited a huge pile of rotting wood, mairstail, bind weed, buttercups and the usual perennial weeds. I'm just giving up my original plot and have left strawberries, rasberries, rhubarb, blackberry and have covered some of the raised beds with rotting manure -not very good but ok for 12months, and trimmed the hedges. Yours sound great.
Not all bad news on the new plot, discovered asparagus, plum tree, yellow autumn rasberries and the fig has been very productive, oh, several slabbed paths which had been completely covered with weeds too👍

xx
Allotment help!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:32
by Chrysalis
xx
New allotment

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 21:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
new allotment

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:50
by Porffor
xx
New allotment

Started by smkirk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2006, 10:41
by mixdiver

Page created in 0.997 seconds with 39 queries.