Can I cut viromesh?

• 14 Replies

Martin

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« on: February 20, 2007, 22:00 »
Had terrible problems with flea beetle, carrot fly etc last year.
Decided to get some viromesh from Kays Discount Garden.
Longer lengths a lot cheaper per metre, is it ok to cut it? Thought it might have a finished edge all round.
Thanks
Martin
Martin

muntjac

Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 22:03 »
sharp solid scissors mate will be fine  :)
still alive /............

milkman

Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:27 »
That's where I sourced mine from in big long lengths - I then just cut it to the length required for my fixed beds - it hasn't frayed at all and I'm expecting to get at least 10 years use out of it (I think this is my fourth year now...).

I use it on my carrots to stop the carrot fly, peas to stop pea moth maggots and on all my brassicas and sweetcorn until the plants are well established.  Have also had it on my overwintering broad beans which are looking lovely and sturdy.

I've got a mixture of 2m wide which fits comfortably over 1.8m water pipe hoops on my 4ft wide beds, and 3.1m wide which gives the extra height required for things like peas, brussels sprouts and cauliflowers.

Well worth the investment.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:54 »
As a newbie, I'll ask the dumb question - what's enviromesh?
Veg? That's chips, innit?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:56 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
As a newbie, I'll ask the dumb question - what's enviromesh?

you read my mind, smudgeboy!! i'm sure some one will but us out of our misery!!

milkman

Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 13:32 »
Have a look at the pics in my profile personal gallery thing - it's like fleece, but harder wearing, filters the wind through (so less prone to taking off in a strong wind), lets the rain through and creates a lovely environment underneath which plants seem to love.

I'm not into using pesticides so as I've probably waffled about above its a great way of keeping the nasties that are out to spoil your crops off.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 21:05 »
Quote from: "milkman"
Have a look at the pics in my profile personal gallery thing - it's like fleece, but harder wearing, filters the wind through (so less prone to taking off in a strong wind), lets the rain through and creates a lovely environment underneath which plants seem to love.

I'm not into using pesticides so as I've probably waffled about above its a great way of keeping the nasties that are out to spoil your crops off.

I am not good navigating websites, although this is the easiest I have found. Please tell me how to find your profile thing, Jim
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

ziggywigs

Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 21:10 »
Look at bottom of post and click on profile then click on personal gallery  of xyz link.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 21:13 »
Quote from: "Jim T"

I am not good navigating websites, although this is the easiest I have found. Please tell me how to find your profile thing, Jim

Under Milkman's post, you'll see a box marked 'Profile' click on this, then click on 'personal gallery of Milkman' on the right hand side
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 21:29 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"

Under Milkman's post, you'll see a box marked 'Profile' click on this, then click on 'personal gallery of Milkman' on the right hand side

:D Hey thanks - I found his photos and I think the first one I looked at was this stuff VIROMESH ........ and I think it was supported by - did he say water hose pipe?  It seems just what I want, because fleece is soft and floppy and Heavy duty plastic does not let the rain through.
Can you tell me would you just stick the plastic hose pipe in the ground at each side of the bed and throw the viromesh over it?

Also I noticed his paths covered with black stuff. .. How do you hold that down/ Metal pegs OK? I use bricks but this is ugly and I've run out of bricks.

Many thanks to all, Jim

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 22:53 »
Hi Jim, first of all HE is a SHE, but don't worry, she's used to it.  As to the pipes.  I use them too to cover my brassicas.  I put shortish bamboo canes in the ground, then thread the pipes onto them, makes it look like a polytunnel frame.  then my netting goes over the top and I tie it on in several places so it doesn't move around, we are very windy here.

milkman

Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:37 »
I too put bamboo canes in the ends of the water pipe to anchor it to the ground, and I put bricks and bits of wooden plank on the edges of the viromesh to hold it firmly in place at the edges.

The ground cover on the paths is pegged down - Kays have got fixing pegs in their current catalogue 100 for £8.90.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 13:50 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi Jim, first of all HE is a SHE, but don't worry, she's used to it.  As to the pipes.  I use them too to cover my brassicas.  I put shortish bamboo canes in the ground, then thread the pipes onto them, makes it look like a polytunnel frame.  then my netting goes over the top and I tie it on in several places so it doesn't move around, we are very windy here.

Hi grannieannie, I like your dog :D . Many thanks: everyone is so helpful and I've learnt such a lot from you guys & dolls.
I can see now and it is a great idea. I can't wait to get down there and do it

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 13:54 »
Quote from: "milkman"
I too put bamboo canes in the ends of the water pipe to anchor it to the ground, and I put bricks and bits of wooden plank on the edges of the viromesh to hold it firmly in place at the edges.

The ground cover on the paths is pegged down - Kays have got fixing pegs in their current catalogue 100 for £8.90.

Hi milkman, Sorry for calling you "he".
I'm very grateful for all the tips and I learnt a lot from looking at your photos.
My next job is to find the Kays catalogue.

Martin

• Experienced Member
Can I cut viromesh?
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 14:03 »
My next job is to find the Kays catalogue.

Here it is:
click here

xx
cosy fleece vs viromesh

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2006, 20:53
by milkman
xx
Viromesh - is it worth spending £16 to preserve 5m of crop?

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 13, 2007, 10:57
by Annie

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 36 queries.