Poll

Should I take the offered plot as it is?

Yes, take it and go raised bed.
19 (86.4%)
No. Wait and see.
0 (0%)
OR??? (please add a comment to the thread if you think there is another option I have not thought of)
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 10, 2008, 11:31

I've been to see my proposed plot. Advice please. *update*

• 19 Replies

Ygerna

I went to see the vacant plot. The previous tennant has beem evicted for non payment of rent. The plot size is a good one for me so I am happy on that point. There is parking close by, and water available. Not too bad clearance wise, some nettles and an average amount of couch, but enough workably free space available to be able to clear these with some weed killer in the spring, whilst still getting some ground ready for planting.

But. There is always a but isn't there?

The plots location is one that tends to water logging/winter floods.

So, do I take the plot and go completely raised bed, thus reducing the amount of growing area available? How will the excess water affect my yields, and growing options?

OR.

Do I hold out in the hope that I can get a better sited plot at some unknown point in the future?

ETA-*update Mon 10th Nov* Thanks to all for your votes, thoughts and advice! :D  I have just phoned and accepted the plot :shock:  My other half is still non supporting but, well, now I can go down the lottie and get some peace :wink:  I am sure he will come round. Eventually. Hopefully :?

Thanks again :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34 »
My garden floods terribly and I have found raised beds the way to go.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:47 »
Go for it  :D
You should consider why it's flooding too, it could be a simple answer. If the plots been rotovated a lot, that can cause what's called a pan, which will stop the water draining.It's easy to spot dig down a spades depth and if there is one you will see a almost polished look to the soil at the bottom. Pour some water in there and see how long it takes to drain.

Double digging will help cure that problem, hard work but it works. I'm slowly doing mine a different bit each year, my plots on a slope and still gets standing water or water running down the slope 8" under the soil  :roll:

Raised beds will also help, so will lazy beds & they are cheaper to construct.

Lastly the sad thing is if you refuse a plot you may be put back to the bottom of the waiting list
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:49 »
We have plots on our site that flood up in the lightest of showers and the allotmenteers moan on about this, but not one of them has thought to put raised beds in  :roll:

I have selected the raised bed option.  after all, they are easier to manage (IMHO) look better, help you to define growing and walking areas (as I have noticed where i don't have raised beds and people come into the garden for a chat they tend to stomp all over the bed  :evil:  and finally if it is as good as you say then if you don't take it someone else will and when you walk by and see what they've achieved you will kick yourself.

If it doesn't work out for you then you can always give it up to the next person on the list but at least you tried.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:39 »
i voted the raised beds. Myplot is also waterlogged at the top, and OH is going to put a drain in. If that dont work then Ill be raised bedding at the top end only for space reasons

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 13:09 »
I voted "or",
but essentially I'd take it, see how you get on for the first year as it is, and if you can't underwater garden, put in the raised beds, or at least a few, for the next year :D
just be way of interest, Where-abouts in surrey are you?

Ygerna

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 13:17 »
Quote from: "Gwiz"
I voted "or",
but essentially I'd take it, see how you get on for the first year as it is, and if you can't underwater garden, put in the raised beds, or at least a few, for the next year :D
just be way of interest, Where-abouts in surrey are you?

I'm in Hook, nr Chessington. :D

The plot waterlogs because of  the lay of the lay of the land unfortunately. All plots in this area are prone to it.

I think I will take it, and perhaps ask that if another half plot comes up, further up, that I get chance to have that instead of, or indeed as well as if my first one is a success.

However, please keep your thoughts, and votes coming in because I value them and will be using them as a guide. Incidentally, when I asked the 'Allotment Man' if I could take a day or two to think about it, I told him it was so that I could come here and ask you all what you thought :lol:

gimli

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 13:41 »
:D i say take it and ask if another comes up thats beeter maybe.
once your on the allotments its a lot easier to get another
gimli

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 15:22 »
Quote from: "Ygerna"

It's all clay soil around there. I was born and "dragged up" in Tolworth.
Take the allotment, I don't think you're gonna get any different soil type locally! :wink:
Where abouts are the allotments? close to the Ace-of-spades?

WARDDRU

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 15:51 »
Take it. I have put land drains in and diverted the water either side of my garden ,into soak aways. The new plastic land drains are a dream.
Now much better.
Careful you do not pass the problem onto your neighbour. You could always do a joint project and help eveyone.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 16:09 »
All plots in this area are prone to it.

I think you have your own answer right there; if you are unlikely to get another one that doesn't flood up a bit then no matter which one you take you will have this problem

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 17:03 »
my brother's floods and he has made raised beds and was saying last night about sinking a pond at the lowest point of the plot

Bombers

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 17:56 »
Take it on, After which you can start to plan what needs doing. Drainage/Raised beds? you need to get a season under your belt first. You are probably looking at the worst possible weather conditions at the moment anyhow? :roll:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Ygerna

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 19:00 »
Quote from: "Gwiz"

It's all clay soil around there. I was born and "dragged up" in Tolworth.
Take the allotment, I don't think you're gonna get any different soil type locally! :wink:
Where abouts are the allotments? close to the Ace-of-spades?

It is indeed the site by the Ace of Spades (though the pub is now called 'The Cap in Hand'), behind the rugby ground. Small world isn't it? :D

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 21:01 »
my father had this problem on his allotment and solved it by digging a trench down one side and putting a grip ( long pipe with holes in) in it running to the nearest ditch.of course this depends on u having a ditch running round the edge of the allotment site.

xx
Update and some advice....

Started by scott40k on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 16:53
by scott40k
xx
Sorry could I have some advice please update?

Started by veggienut on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 17:44
by pushrod
xx
Plot update!

Started by Jaye on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 09:22
by Jaye
xx
plot update

Started by andyk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 12:02
by WG.

Page created in 1.291 seconds with 41 queries.