Fireworks

• 7 Replies

raeburg

Fireworks
« on: November 05, 2008, 19:00 »
Now that it is the dreaded season for things that go bang in the night, does anyone have advice regarding chooks?  Tonight isn't a problem but in a couple of weeks there is a really big professional display put on here and I've remembered that the "launch" site last was our allotments!  i didn't have a plot then, but over look so I watch the guys set up.  My 8 ex-bats live down there and it is usually a loud and long display (neighbours mention the somme and last year a burning firework nearly set my hair on fire).  

Do you think it would be wise to bring the girls up to the house for the night "just in case"?

karlooben

Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 19:05 »
i have made psots regarding fireworks in the past an most ppl seem to say their birds have been fine , mine are doing ok an we have had some real bangers going of  but luckily theres no major displays that close to me .

if the  display is going to be   that big i would suggest u take them home for the nite an put them in a garage or something just to be safe .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Fireworks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 19:26 »
Cover the windows over with something heavy like a blanket or sacks just to stop them seeing the flashes. We cover ours up and they are always ok. No fireworks for us tonight  :(  to wet.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Dannii

Fireworks
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 20:10 »
Hiya,

I posted this question a few weeks back as my neighbours always have a fireworks party, they had the party on sunday with the rockets being set off literally next to the chicken house (on the other side of the fence) we still had  all chickens alive in the morning and all of them had laid eggs, with no strange eggs having been laid since. I was going to put a blanket over the top of them but then I was worried that if a firework fell on them it would create roast chickens :o) luckily I didnt as there was a rocket shell in their enclosure the next morning.

I also asked the poultry centre where I bought the birds from, they said they should be fine. Every year they have their own firework display within the grounds and their birds have never had any ill effects.

Hope this helps a bit!!

Dannii

raeburg

Fireworks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:10 »
Thanks for the advice.  Only 2 eggs this morning.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Fireworks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 16:57 »
Lots of fireworks going off round me, neighbours had quite a few VERY loud ones last night and they all laid this morning  :D

We do have a very BIG firework display on Saturday on the field literally at the back of the house, usually the patio windows are vibrating badly.  Will see what they are like.

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Fireworks
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 22:34 »
We live next to the village park where they hold a massive display every year. Last year I had just got my girls and was panicking they would be upset by the noise.  I popped out to check them literally every 10 mins all prepared to bring them in the house but they all slept through it like babies.  Just had the old tom cat scared witless all night instead!

raeburg

Fireworks
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 14:07 »
Well the dreaded firework event passed and thankfully it wasn't set off from our site, but very near anyway.  The girls were remarkably unfazed and egg production was fine this morning.

xx
Fireworks!

Started by pheobe1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 10:41
by pheobe1
xx
fireworks

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 12:23
by AmandaH
xx
Fireworks

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 10:26
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Fireworks

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 12:45
by Bigblacktaximan

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 28 queries.