3 plots, too much for a beginners?

• 33 Replies

mum2many

« on: February 20, 2007, 08:27 »
thinking well in advance here but hubby seems to think this would be a good idea.

it would give us an L shaped plot,so in the future we could use one for greenhouse and shed, possibly one for chickens and one for veggies.

just that while they are empty it may be worth it so that if we decide we need more than one plot they wont be spread out.

And with 4 kids got plenty of helpers to dig, and eat the produce :lol:

And for £54 what have we got to lose,
Em x
Already got names for my chooks but dont tell "Tom"
organic? non organic? not a clue only just started

WG.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:42 »
Seems like quite a big take-on but a keen gardener has never got too much space.  Go for it!

You can always green manure or mulch or grow a space-hungry crop like potatoes to help keep it all under control.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21 »
Go for it  :D  You'll be surprised at what you can do and with 4 helpers it will be fun too  :wink:

milkman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41 »
If your site has plenty of other spare plots then go for it, if it doesn't then maybe limit yourself to two - if they are both full sized plots that should be plenty of land to do what you're aiming to and feed your family.

Our site is full with a small waiting list - we have a couple+friend that took on a block of three 5-rod plots and in three years all they have managed to do is to erect a shed that could house 4 ponies comfortably.  All three plots remain substantially overrun with weeds and on the few occasions I see the plotholder she merely whinges at where her lack of help has gone and what a chore it all is.  What veg they do manage to grow goes unharvested.

My suggestions that they give up one or two of the plots or that they cover two of the plots to concentrate on getting one into full production are poo-pooed.  Meanwhile other plotholders are p***ed off because the plots could be let to other probably more eager and enthusiastic people currently stuck on the waiting list who would make much better use of them.

Sorry - end of rant.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41 »
must admit, I wouldnt fancy 3 on the go, got enough with one, but I know man 3 or more and he will tell you different.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mum2many

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:34 »
If we took 3 plots on it would leave 6 vacant.

Could do with a back plot to help prevent the greenhouse(to be) being smashed with the local jobs hurling snooker balls but the plot behind ours is taken.
The 2 to the side of our front plot are vacant (the long straight for the L)
but the front plot is very water logged.

really unsure what to do, the list of stuff we want to grow has grown thanks to eager kids wanting to grow EVERYTHING they eat.
Had to tell the youngest we cant grow a cornflake tree :lol: (she was joking BTW and does know where things like milk/veg etc come from)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:37 »
I can see you are a "Good Life Girl" and you'll have a lot of work to do.  Munty would tell you to take on all 9 plots I'm sure  :lol:

As you said you've nothing to lose and can always give one up if you find it too much work.  Go for it  :!:

WG.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51 »
Quote from: "mum2many"
the front plot is very water logged  

Might not be a bad thing during summer months ...   Check with allotment neighbours to see when/if if dries out.

Your kid's enthusiasm for the gardening project might evaporate fairly quickly.  Keeping chickens or rabbits or dinosaurs will help keep them keen.

wellingtons

Well ...
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51 »
... as it's really just me I know I couldn't cope with 3 plots.  I do have help, but more to the point I couldn't use all the produce ...  :lol:

I love the I wanna be Barbara comment.  One of my male friends commented recently that I was like both women on the Good Life, posh like Margo and cute and slightly grubby like Barbara ...  :lol:

WG.

Re: Well ...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 11:03 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
cute and slightly grubby

You might want to edit that bit before muntjac sees it !    :lol:  :lol:

wellingtons

lol ...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:04 »
... that's why Muntjac likes me in the first place ...  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:16 »
CORRRRRRRRR cute n grubby  :lol: ,, what i wanna know is how come you like mucky knees's  

and now ur getting all grubby down the plot as well ? :wink:  :lol:
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2262&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=knees&start=15
still alive /............

mum2many

Re: Well ...
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:11 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
...  I love the I wanna be Barbara comment.  One of my male friends commented recently that I was like both women on the Good Life, posh like Margo and cute and slightly grubby like Barbara ...  :lol:

Thats me, would hate to chip my nail varnish :lol: Not really. Will go well with our touring caravan lifestyle. Muck does you good.

Got the start of a list of what we would like to try growing, just so you can tell me how much room we will need.

Strawberries
Raspberries
Gooseberries
Rhubarb
Blackcurrants

potatoes
leeks
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
parsnips
sprouts
peas
broadbeans
peppers
spring onions
onions
Lettuce/rocket/salad leaves
cucumber
cabbage

Would really like chickens too

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:15 »
if you have a touring caravan are you gonna have time during the summer to manage 3 plots?

wellingtons

Well ... she'll
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38 »
... obviously be sleeping in the damn thing at the plot, cos come high summer she won't be able to cope any other way! ...  :lol:

xx
Cauliflower... why is it not a beginners veg?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 19:36
by Frog
xx
Seeds for Beginners

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 09:01
by compostqueen
xx
BEGINNERS (and 'old' hands!)

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2006, 10:50
by John
clip
Beginners allotment!

Started by Bibbiz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 18:19
by Pescador

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 28 queries.